About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Winter Backpacking Trip Ideas

1:42 p.m. on March 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I live in NE Ohio and section hike about 100 miles of the AT every June.  I am looking for week long back packing ideas, presumably in the SE, that I can do in the December - February time frame without encountering the Winter conditions typical of the NE at that time of the year.  Trailheads reasonably near non-commercial airports catering to private aircraft and trails with reliable water sources and trees capable of slinging my Hennessy Hammock would be ideal.  Any ideas, suggestions and details would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2:26 p.m. on March 31, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey davemcgee, welcome to Trailspace. Are you speaking in terms of Jan-Feb 2013? I would suggest the LHHT here is SW Pa. but it seems as though you want to head a bit more south?

Allegheny Co Airport would meet you needs and its about an hour drive to either the northern or souther terminus of the trail. The trail is 70 miles. Trees are abundent so no worries in regards to setting a hammock.

Connelsville Airport could also be another place to fly in if you feel this maybe a viable option for you. Its about a 40 minute drive to the Southern trailhead in Ohiopyle from there up rt40.

I will say that heading nobo on the LHHT is alot rougher than heading SOBO being you get smacked with the most substantial elevation gains and losses for the first 8 miles of the trip when heading in this direction.

3:46 p.m. on March 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Florida Trail  Buckman lock to Alexander Springs.

http://www.floridahikes.com/florida-trail-ocala-national-forest/

Ocala "International" Airport is available.

Lot's of overnight and two night hikes available also. 

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply