Hiking in North Dakota?

3:03 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Well I made the move up here to Tioga, North Dakota about 3 weeks ago. New job and trying to get settled has been keeping me pretty busy. Im in the NW corner of North Dakota currently living in Tioga but working in Williston (54 mile commute 1 way....ugh) Trying to get moved over to Williston tho.

Now that Ive finally got some good internet service setup (back to TS) and things starting to settle a bit Im starting to get that itch for the trail. Im still trying to mend some knee issues but figure Id start doing some research into where to hike around here.

So as I start this task of finding new areas in a new state I thought I would ask my fellow TS members for any recomendations for the western ND and eastern MT area.

Thanx in advance

5:27 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Hello, I too am living in North Dakota (Minot). Unfortunately North Dakota has the highest % of privately owned land of any state by far and that translates to not a lot of trails and outddor space. There is the Maah daah hey trail in SW ND. I haven't been on it myself but thinking about doing a portion this summer. It is a 96 mile trail through the badlands, from what I have read water sources are limited though and it is most often used for horseback riding and mountain biking so the designated camps are 20 miles apart.

Other than that, there is the North country trail that is still being built in a lot of parts that runs from NY to ND it ends in west central ND at Lake Sakagawea.

For short hikes there are quite a few but not many compared too most other states go to parkrec.nd.gov/activities/hiking.html too see them

One thing I will warn you about is the winters here are brutal...last year was a very mild one. You come up here for the oil? I know houses and APTs in Williston are ridiculously high right now due to the oil boom, our oil boom is the largest in history and we have gone from the 20 something state producing oil to the #2 state just ahead of alaska and behind texas.

8:00 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Hey to ya jchanman,

Yeah from what Ive seen so far there aint much for open country. Well let me change that, theres a whoooooooole lot of open country, but all owned by somebody.

Im aware of the winters here, never been thru one, but I am aware. Spent a year trucking western states (MT,ID,WY,OR,CO etc.) so got an idea of what Im in for. Definitly aint planing on doing any hike then!

Yep here for the oil jobs. Im driving a vacum tank truck hauling Flow Back and Production Water. Living in company housing also known as man camps since trying to find housing yourself is virtually impossible and stupid crazy in price.

My setup aint to bad compared to most, and cost is affordable. Waiting for something in company housing to open up in Williston so I can go there and quit making this insane drive everyday. Williston housing is even better then here but same price.

You work the Bakken?

8:29 p.m. on May 21, 2012 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

No, I am in the AF stationed at the base here for the last 8 years, haven't done any hiking here (or not much) because I used my location and the fact none of my friends wanted to go. But I have planned a few this year, one back in Idaho with my dad and brothers, the other is a section of the north country trail in western minnesota. Along with a weekend trip up to lake Metigoshe and doing the loop trails there.

9:29 a.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
508 forum posts

Theodore Roosevelt National Park?  It's in western NoDak.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9720790?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

11:31 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanx guys!

Roosevelt NP is one that several people here have mentioned to check out, but none of those people hike. Ive seen the turn off to get there while at work. I think Im gonna have to look into that one.

I did see something on the Maah daah hey trail too. Might have been on BP, (I think) did say water was an issue. Being from AZ Im used to that, Short overniters are doable, or plan on a water stash somewhere.

Saw one trail that wandered along the Missouri River or might have been the Yellowstone River, got to try and remember where I saw that, LOL

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply