Going back to hiking this summer

10:38 a.m. on June 30, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

I came back to Jackson and the Tetons to hike this summer. But after doing a long multiday hike with a 60 lb pack I decided to come back to town and look for work. But now after working just over a week I have decided that I would rather be hiking. But now I will also be living back on my bike like I have since last September from Flagstaff to Tucson and back. I just wished I had ridden back to Jackson too. My bike is being shipped to me from my friend in Flagstaff who has stored it since I left the in late May.

I made this desision after 3 1/2 years of working parttime and hiking/biking. 

I plan to do just week long hikes in the mountains of the area and do some week long bike tours too. I will resupply in Jackson. There are so many places to see here.

I will do a weekly trip report with pictures. I am buying a new digital camera too. I have decided on the GE X500 camera.   

www.general-imaging.com/us/Digital-Camera.aspx?id=1962 

For now I will stick to use of the local library's PCs to load my weekly images on and then put them into my trip reports.

I may not do a first long hike till after the Fourth of July show this week here in town. I have seen very few of the fireworks shows in the last 30 years cause I generally was working all summer.

I have not taken a summer off since 1980-81. This is my 35th year on the road , 30th year bicycle touring after hitchhiking from 1977-82. This Fall I will bike down to hike the Escalante/Grand Staircase, Bryce, East and main Zion, the Parunuweap, Paria and Buckskin and then who knows where for the winter. Maybe Big Bend?

7:05 p.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I'm glad you made it back safe Gary!

I look forward to reading about your hiking and seeing the photos.

Take care, Mike G.

7:11 p.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

Leaving tomorrow on my first multiday trip into the Tetons. I will be out later next week. Bought a new Sony digital camera today. One that uses the memory cards I had with my other Sony camera.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply