Lost Coast Trail

2:30 p.m. on October 6, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,280 forum posts

Have any of you done the Lost Coast Trail in northern California (from Shelter Cove to Mattole)?  I'm considering it.  The main things holding me back are the expensive shuttle (maybe coordinate with other riders to reduce the cost) and also the likely cold damp weather & high probability of rain.

But these issues notwithstanding, it'd be a great trip through a rugged, remote, and beautiful area.  It's pretty short, only 24 miles, but still apparently a 3-day trek for most people (soft sand, scheduling around tides, etc).

Anyone here have any experience with this trip?

11:43 a.m. on October 8, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

It's a lovely Trail! I wouldn't wait much longer to do it, as every day closer to winter makes freezing fog, slush and rain more likely. I enjoyed it in August.  Though doing it faster than 3 days is possible, the loose sand makes for slow walking, the tides require exerciser timing, and it's so gosh-darn beautiful that you don't want to rush.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Bear canisters are an absolute must.

2. the Arcata BLM office has free tides tables.  Grab one.

3. Do not get close to the illegal pot growing operations in this area.  Those folks are not to be messed with.

4. It's windy.  I brought a tube-shelter that was blown flat by the wind. Bring a shelter than can handle wind.

8:45 p.m. on October 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

A few from our group had done the trip last Spring again, I guess they had pretty high winds and precip.  I have only gone one year, we did a shuttle, with a NOBO and a SOBO group, camping together the second day to chat and exchange keys, then meeting up the morning we exited in town for lunch.  A long drive for me to get there and back home to the mountains.

Duane

12:10 p.m. on October 9, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,280 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to keep an eye on the weather.  Going for several days in cold rain & wind probably isn't exactly my idea of an ideal trip.  And if i were to go in those conditions I need some new rain gear - and maybe even a new synthetic sleeping bag, as I wouldn't be comfortable taking my down bag in very damp conditions - and my MH synthetic bag is very heavy.  Also my schedule is a bit up in the air right now so I'll have to see how that goes.

But it's good to start planning anyway so I'll be ready when the opportunity arises...

11:28 a.m. on October 10, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

I would highly recommend a synthetic bag. The fog can get dense enough to drink and the spray from the ocean can soak you pretty thoroughly too. When fires are allowed (keep an eye on restrictions), a driftwood fire keeps you warm and helps clean up the beach!

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply