Death Valley

3:38 p.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I am taking a quick day trip to Death Valley Saturday to get my bearings. Just got a real good guide book and I want to do an overall recon of the central/east area. This book has lots of the trails listed and explained. I hope to do the trails as time moves on. This trip will be car and small jaunts and pix to get an overview.

6:49 p.m. on October 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Sounds like an adventure.  I recommend heavy drinking, water that is, with Guinness as a 2nd choice.

11:16 a.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

We will have T least a gallon per person. A giant cooler with food as well in the back of the pilot. Lots of driving. So no Guinness

1:35 p.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,215 forum posts

I have always enjoyed Death Valley, but timing is very important.  It is stilll hot down there and nothing to mess with.  I suggest November thru March as the best time.  With the wind and low humidity even a 100 degree can be dangerous.  Do some exploring and bring a vehicle suitable for rough roads.  I like to come in from the East thru Quartzite and Titus Canyon.

For undeveloped camping a sheet of plywood is handy to sleep on due to the amount of rocks around.  Water.  For hot weather like now, try the north end of the park up by Scotty's Castle and Uhbehebe Crater.

7:37 p.m. on October 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've been exploring DVNP and the surrounding area since 1974 - I make one or two trips/year - and feel I know the place rather well.  Though I haven't done a ton of hiking (but have done quite a bit) , I have driven every single road in the park.  If I can be of any help, just ask!

12:27 p.m. on October 14, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,215 forum posts

Giftofgab,

May I suggest more hiking and less driving?  The use of DVNP is concentrated along the roads, and regular campgrounds don't have much to recommend.  Do some hikes in the northern, higher elevation parts of the park if you are going in Oct.  There is a lot of peace and solitude available  but you can't drive to most of it.

6:44 p.m. on October 14, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

The problem with less driving in DVNP is that a lot of the good stuff is way down back roads.  You really need to drive - a lot - unless all you want to see are touristy spots (which shouldn't be missed).

6:50 p.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

This was an exploration trip. I had friends who are not at all experienced hikers and though I hike a lot these days, I would not call myself an expert either. It was a day trip. As far as heat, I live in it. Vegas is hot. I make it a practice to hike and golf the hot months because I enjoy it. So I am pretty solid on what to do, wear, drink, eat in the heat. Because my pals were from Seattle, this was going to be more car, less hiking. One was healing from a broken ankle so still sore. Also, I live in Vegas and we needed to get what we could in a day because we were kayaking Black Canyon the next day. I think we acquitted ourselves quite well. (See trip report here). I have seen some things I want to do and I do want to go into the park for some good hikes and more road trips too. ACE the super pilot did good on the rough roads. I got a good idea of some things to expect. Jim...would definitely like to pick your brains for a spring trip to see the bloom!

9:55 p.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

giftogab said:

This was an exploration trip. I had friends who are not at all experienced hikers and though I hike a lot these days, I would not call myself an expert either. It was a day trip. As far as heat, I live in it. Vegas is hot. I make it a practice to hike and golf the hot months because I enjoy it. So I am pretty solid on what to do, wear, drink, eat in the heat. Because my pals were from Seattle, this was going to be more car, less hiking. One was healing from a broken ankle so still sore. Also, I live in Vegas and we needed to get what we could in a day because we were kayaking Black Canyon the next day. I think we acquitted ourselves quite well. (See trip report here). I have seen some things I want to do and I do want to go into the park for some good hikes and more road trips too. ACE the super pilot did good on the rough roads. I got a good idea of some things to expect. Jim...would definitely like to pick your brains for a spring trip to see the bloom!

Anytime, Karen!  Fire me off an email or post here.

11:48 p.m. on October 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks Jim!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply