Tent sites on Ltl. Slickrock?

4:04 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
48 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

First off, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading some of these trip reports here. Great site and great info. And I tip my hat to Tipi. As many have said, you the man!

My little group of hikers ( Southern Hunyucks) have been hiking Slickrock Creek area in November for many years but never ventured up or down Ltl. Slickrock/ Stiff Knee. Our trek coming up around the 16th may take us there and wondering if anyone can share what are the campsites options along this trail? Familiar with those at the base around the main Slickrock Creek Creek but not further up closer to Farr Gap.

Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks.

7:39 p.m. on November 10, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,196 forum posts

Well, maybe I should answer this one since I know the Stiffknee pretty well and have eyeballed potential sites along its length.  First off, there are several level little sites on the Fodderstack trail south of Farr Gap, and of course you could probably set up camp right in Farr Gap if you don't mind being around rolling couch potatoes(cars).  But if you go south on Fodderstack you'll find a few level spots.

From Farr Gap down Stiffknee there aren't many tent sites but there is a creek spring to get water as you head down.  The trail falls steeply in places and contours around some ridge fingers which if followed may have a site or two.

The steepest section is a series of short switchbacks which drops you down to "Stiffknee Gap" where there is a new trailpost pointing out how the trail turns right in the gap.  The gap itself may have a small campsite by the post tho it's a windy place.

After turning right you drop and cross a series of 3 small springs and the trail starts to parallel Little Slickrock Creek.  There's a fairly level spot on the right of the trail when you're going down and it has an old fire ring.

Then there's a little pull off camp on the left by the creek, with a fire ring.

Past these upper sites you start hitting more level ground and cross the creek 5 times.  There are campsites all the way thru these 5 crossings and of course as you said there's the main crossing where the Stiffknee jcts with Slickrock Creek.  Also, there's a huge campsite up on a little plateau behind the main campsite which is accessed by a faint sidetrail going up. 

7:21 a.m. on November 11, 2012 (EST)
48 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thank you Tipi. Sounds like a lot more possibilities along there than I thought. Hope to run into one day on the trail and surprised we haven't before. Great trail reports and pics and I appreciate the quick response here. Happy Trails!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply