May head east from 29 Palms later next week

4:13 p.m. on November 16, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

Instead of going north to Death Valley as previously stated I think I will go NE and go towards Kingman AZ and head east on I-40 and go thru Flagstaff to Holbrook and then SE to the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico and head south to southern N.M. and over to Texas and Big Bend and the Gulf Coast for a warmer winter out of the Sonoran/Colorado Plateau Desert. 

I think I shall go to Florida next year instead of northern California. Then up the east coast to Maine, then west to Washington state and the Pacific coast as I was going to do this winter/spring.

1:21 p.m. on November 20, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

Actually I am not sure what I am going to do  or go next. Thinking about heading to the Pacific Coast now towards Ventura then up to San Francisco. Want to see the ocean and sleep on the beach!

6:00 p.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

I have been here almost two weeks and a half, I initially stopped to get a new outer body for my Katadyn Hiker water filter and then my back wheel one day started splitting around part of the rim. So then I looked into getting a new wheel from a local bike shop and found it would cost me $160 to have one put on replacing the wheel there now. Then I was texting a friend about it and he said he had a spare used rear wheel and would send it to me. So he has and that was last monday, its coming from Florida via parcel post as I didn't have address for him to send it to me at here in 29 Palms. 

I hope it is here today, tho the post office says it could take 7-10 days. If it is here today I hope to change out the wheels this weekend and be on my way the day after I do so.

I was figuring this morning that for the 17 days I have been here I could have ridden to Texas by now. I ride about 50 miles a day (not bad at going on 57 years old) I could have gone about 850 mile+/- with side hiking trips.

From 29 Palms my idea is to go east to Parker Dam, down to Quartzsite then NE to Prescott, east to Camp Verde, then on SE to Payson acrossed the Mogollen Rim to Show Low, then on to Springerville-Eagar then down SE to Luna New Mexico and to Reserve N.M. where I hope to ride out the winter in a old cabin I know of from when I worked downstream from it in 1989 as a caretaker.

Then is the Spring go back to Flagstaff where I have a job during the month of May 2013 and then ride up to the Grand Canyon and up to Utah to do some hiking and possibly work the rest of the summer somewhere up there, Zion, Bryce, the North Rim of the GC, Escalante, Boulder,etc.

As you can see my plans change with the wind. After being stuck here in 29 Palms I have come up with many ideas of where I will go next.

6:19 p.m. on December 9, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Well keep us informed.   If you ever make it to Western Washington I can offer you a dry place to sleep and a hot shower.  I am working on getting a bike to try to start riding again, hopefully get back in better shape and lose some pounds in the process. 

Wolf

PS:

I think you got the rim replaced, how is the seat post going?  What size is it?

4:24 p.m. on December 13, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,073 forum posts

I have a long seat post, but its actually the bracket that holds the seat to the seatpost thats broken. I semi-fixed it with JB Weld a few weeks ago. But when I get to Wickenburg (50 miles away) (see my new post at Trip Reports under "29 Palms CA to Sedona AZ") I hope to find a new bracket as the weld stuff has taken a lot of stress and I definetely need to replace it. I got a new/used seat in 29 Palms, the day before I left from a guy who collects bikes and stuff, he gave me the new/used seat.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply