cherokee national forest

10:56 a.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

me and a couple of friends were doing some planning for a trip, and kinda wanted a cabin as a base camp. we stumbled across donley cabin in the cherokee national forest, but the only thing is, i don't know if there are very many day hikes there. we want something we don't have to drive to, just wake up and go walk. anyone know the area, and if so, and suggestions. also, if anyone knows where i can get a map of the area, that would be appreciated.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Donley_Cabin/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74167

12:29 p.m. on November 28, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

You should check out Swann Cabin below Bob Stratton Bald which has plenty of hikes around it.  It's in North Carolina and close to the Donley Cabin.

Donley is on the North River road and you could walk the road to several Brushy Ridge trails like McNabb which is awesome.  Just get the Nat G map of the area, I think #781.  Donley is also close to Sycamore Creek trail, the BMT and Whiggs Meadow.

2:39 p.m. on November 29, 2012 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i appreciate the info. if you were to make a suggestion on which cabin, which would you suggest. loving all those day hikes that seem to be around there.

2:53 p.m. on November 29, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Personally I'd go with Swann as Donley is a little dank.  Last I heard Swann is $20 per night but there's probably a waiting period.

9:30 a.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Swann would be my recommendation as well. I've been meaning to plan weekend there with some family who don't backpack, but would love the cabin and location. 

There are a bunch of great trail options from there as well: Horse cove, along the wall, up to the Bob, out to the Hangover, and several others. 

10:31 a.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

y'all got me really excited about swann cabin, but it isn't open from jan-late march because they close the road to it. oh well, guess donley is my only choice, unless anyone knows of any other primitive cabins in that area ( or east tn/west nc in general) really looking for something we don't have to hike far to get to as one friend has had some psychical issues that keep him from doing long distances. but he just wants to get out there!

12:29 p.m. on November 30, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Donley isn't all that bad and North River road has some nice trail options in the Brushy Ridge area leading up to the Skyway, trails like Long Branch and Hemlock Creek and Sugar Cove and McNabb.  Also if you drive up the North River road you'll reach the Skyway at the bridge (Stratton Meadows) where the BMT crosses the road with some good hiking options.  Also there's a side road off North River which climbs to Whiggs Meadow.

5:15 p.m. on January 10, 2013 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

i'm planning a couple of loops while were up there for the weekend. (the18th-21st) i'm thinking definately going to sycamore creek trail and loop with whigg ridge trail. anyone know of any other trails that loop that we can just park one car and loop around to get back to car. don't mind walking a little bit of road. thanks!

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply