Mt. Kilimanjaro

8:23 p.m. on May 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am planning to climb Mt. kilimanjaro with my wife, through Thomson Safaris. Has anyone done this. How difficult is it. I would be interested in talking with you!

4:49 a.m. on May 21, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I am planning to climb Mt. kilimanjaro with my wife, through Thomson Safaris. Has anyone done this. How difficult is it. I would be interested in talking with you!

I've done it in July 1991, and it's actually quite easy if your physical condition is OK. It is just one long walk, absolutely not technical. The only problem is altitude sickness. If you suffer from it, forget about climbing the Kilimanjaro. Unfortunately, altitude sickness seems to be unpredictable. Three people in our group (including me) were ill, suffering from a rather serious cold. Strange enough, we were the only ones to make it to the top. I have asthma - but it didn't affect me in any way. On others, altitude sickness had rather spectacular effects. One participant left with us for the final ascent feeling fine, and then suddenly toppled over and started vomiting his brains out ... By descending a few hundred meters, he immediately recovered.

I would advise you to do some mild endurance training. I ran three times a week, until I could do 8 kms (5 miles) in less than 40 minutes.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply