New area in the Sierra

5:25 p.m. on December 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
183 forum posts

A nice story about how things can work out---preserving a new section of the Sierra just North of Lake Tahoe.  This is beautiful country, and kudos to everyone who made it possible for us all to enjoy it!

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Webber-Lake-Lacey-Meadows-saved-in-deal-4088521.php

3:00 a.m. on December 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Wow, what great news! Thank you for posting. And what a special place, full of pioneer history. I hope the hotel gets fixed up, at least enough so it doesn't fall into further neglect. It seems to be a truly valuable historic structure. It would be great if it could actually be a hotel again, with maybe a saloon.... Funds could be used to maintain the building and the land.... but I would imagine the land trust folks already have a vision.

10:44 p.m. on December 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Cool.  Wish I could afford land up there.  I like to snowmobile back into Perozzo Meadow in Jan. and camp, gets below zero there about that time.  No one around, the snowmobilers stop a little after dark on the main road.  Too bad it is so far from 89 that winter time users will be limited to snowmobiles.  It's been logged recently back in there too, so the pic doesn't show all of that.  There is another campground/RV Park along in there, another extension of Truckee?

Duane

11:32 a.m. on December 26, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,254 forum posts

Webber Lake is a great fishing lake and the L Truckee R is a top notch fly fishing locaaion.  The hotel is likely to become a museum for history and natural history.  The inholdings in the National Forests like this tend to be special places with good water sources.  Converting them back to public land usually happens by donations, sales at a special price or natural easements.

It is very unlikely that any of the property will be used to support concessions like a saloon or restaurant.  A tent campground is likely with no hookups because it fits the US Forest Service management style.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply