Camping on Cumberland Island

9:01 p.m. on December 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Planning on camping on Cumberland island and wondering how you are assgined primitive campsites. We made reservations today and they only took down that we wanted primitive and not a specific campsite. Can we choose which site we want or is it assigned to us?

planning on going late march- early april

1:11 p.m. on December 11, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Don't count on Sea Camp unless you specifically get a reservation in advance.

When you get to the orientation, you just tell the ranger what camp site you want to stay at. If the site is not filled to capacity, you got it.

The folks who made reservations before you, will get 1st crack at the campsites. Stafford Beach Campsite gets filled quickly.

Beware of Brickhill.  it is no-seeum hell during the daylight hours. Very nice after dark.

My favorite campsite is Hickory Hill

Feel free to contact me via PM or email with any questions. I've been to Cumberland close to 70 times since 1998.

I know it well.

Send me your email address, I'll send you a copy of the trail map the rangers hand out.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply