Moloka'i, Hawaii, 11days, Feb...

11:15 a.m. on January 5, 2013 (EST)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Howdy All,

My gf and I are heading to Hawaii for 2 weeks on Jan 29th... 3 nights in a condo @ Waikiki, then a Cessna ride to Moloka'i where we have 2 bikes reserved for the remainder of the trip which we plan to spend camping around the 40 mile wide island...

I was wondering if there was anyone here who has experienced Moloka'i who could provide me with their reflections of the experience...

As for our gear, we are going to check one bag for the flights and have 2 30l Mec packs as carry ons... 

Into the checked bag goes  

4x pannier bags (empty, 3x MEC panniers and I am bringing my 1 Deuter rack pack pannier that is surprisingly skookum and expandable up to 35l)

My REI Qrtrdome 2+ broken down into 2 stuff sacks and Integral Designs Silponcho Tarp

Our 2 lightest thermarests (pro light 3 small, and an old 3/4 length UL one)

The inaugural trip for my new Snowpeak Cook n Save pot, with my Brunton Flex Iso Bute stove and Vargo T wood stove , 2 sporks, 2 bowls, Swiss army and Benchmade mini barrage knives inside (will need to source Iso Bute fuel there)

MSR Miniworks, 2l and 3l The Source water bladders (each with a Trailspace sticker attached!) 

Toiletries, home made bug juice, and other odds n sods

Into our 30L carry ons...

I pulled out the padding from my pack and have replaced with a folded Exped multimat that we can pull out for cushioning during our 4 hr wait between flights @ Seatac Airport. The multimat will be spread between us and below our Therms when camping...

2 soft coolers to bring along sangies and snacks for the flights

A pair of Deuter Accessory Pockets to hang off our packs if we need to expand capacity (I love them, everyone needs them)

2 bike water bottles

Clothes (swim trunks, nylon shorts, nylon convertable pants, 2 Tshirts (1 Ibex, 1 is my least fave so I can jettison it if I happen upon 1 I like) Smartwool arm warmers, wool buff, poly midweight top, wind breaker, 3 pr of socks, and my panama lid...

My iphone 5 with a Mophie juice pack external battery or my Solio bolt solar battery...

And finally the crux of it all, sleeping bags...

We have a pair of -3 (Celcius) MEC Merlin down bags that are quite light and compacting that the gf is leaning towards bringing... I feel that it is over kill and that we could get away with my old rectangular Lafuma 0 deg bag unzipped as a blanket over us both with a cotton sheet under us...

I have been watching the weather there, and it seems to be a good 5-10 degrees (F) cooler than usual... (ie 70 rather than 80 as a high)

Most of the time we will be near the ocean camping, but there is one site up in the mountains (Kamakou) that I really want to experience...

Anyhew, as you may be able to tell, I am exited as all get out, and am counting the days.

http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/molokai/things-to-do/activities/camping/

Any thoughts are most welcome.

All the best.

12:07 a.m. on January 6, 2013 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Make sure you have a bike helmet, bike gloves, repair kit and pump. Personally I wouldn't be riding without bike shorts (the padded kind). Also, sunscreen and sunglasses. Bring raingear, February is winter, just like everywhere else in the Northern Hemisphere. I lived on Oahu for 17 years, I know what the weather is like. My knowledge of Molokai is sketchy, but weather is weather.

I have my doubts about getting canister fuel there, so call around before leaving. I lived there before the whole TSA thing, so we'd fly to the outer islands with all kinds of stuff you'd never get on a plane now.

10:59 a.m. on January 6, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,131 forum posts

Don't miss the mule ride.

4:40 p.m. on January 14, 2013 (EST)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Thanks for the insight! I will be sure to post a trip report, and a pic or 2 of my water bottle/bladder when we return.

E.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply