Jeep Roads in the Southern Apps

3:57 p.m. on January 23, 2013 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Hey guys,

Im looking at bringing out a good bit of friends who have never been hiking or backpacking before. I want to make sure they have a good comfortable time and have an experience that is more backcounty and less car camping. My solution is to load up my 4x4 jeep with the safari cage loaded with our gear and jeep us deep into the back country. I have done this on forest service roads to get to trail heads but never for over night trips. What I am looking at doing is spending 3-4 nights jeeping from spot to spot on forest service roads in the southern appalachians. Im looking at Chattahoochee Natl Forest, CHerrokee National Forest, Nantahalana Nat forest, something in that area.

Have any of you guys done this kind of thing in the area or have a good route? It would be cool to have a river to fish on but Im open to all kinds of possibilities.

Arkansas, alabama, and even Oklahoma and texas (eastern) are fair game.

-Mg

4:33 p.m. on January 23, 2013 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

OK I think im gona go for coopers Creek Wildlife managment area in chattohoochee

12:48 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

Mumble,

In the West if there are roads, you are not in the backcountry.  Some people define wilderness areas as "more than five miles from the nearest dirt road."  What you have described is a great way to experience the outdoors and a common way to camp in National Forests.

Get yourself some decent maps and start pouring over them with a fine tooth comb.  A lot of the really good places to go are not popular.  Those two are mutually exclusive.  Most outdoor types that have discovered some great spots are reluctant to share them.

You should be able to find plenty of water on the maps, flat places to camp, and read the topo from the contour lines.  Call the National Forest office Ranger District and talk to some field people that work out in the country you are planning to visit.

2:54 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Nantahala, one of my fav places on earth. Cherokee for land of the noonday sun. But dont neglect to paddle the river.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply