borrego mesa/ truchas peak loop, new mexico

10:02 a.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Does anyone have any info this trail loop? Kind of wondering what the weather for mid march is like?

10:27 a.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
508 forum posts

I've.been to the Pecos Wilderness in the April 2011 and in the Oct 2012. There was snow lingering above elevations of 10,500ft in April and snow was non-existent in Oct. I don't know what the snowpack is like in March but you might want to prepare for it. The possibility exists for spring snows also, though, generally, drier conditions are prevalent starting in the Springtime and lasting until the monsoon kicks in. The Pecos Wilderness trail system seems to be designed for hiking and backpacking. All the trails are well marked and not overgrown. This area also draws a lot of equestrian use.

2:14 p.m. on February 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
22 forum posts

Im in my last semester of college here in the tx panhandle, so i was looking at making a 3 or 4 day trip during spring break which starts march 8th......that was the closest loop i could find....im not worried about me so much, ive rucked alot of miles through some bad weather in afghanistan's mountains lol....but my girl friend is more of a fare weather backpacker, so im just wondering what type weather to expect at that elevation that time of year

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply