GSMNP new paid permit system

12:51 a.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I was given the weekend and a few extra days off for my birthday and I couldnt help but notice GSMNP has snow forecast for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I could not resist a trip and had the opportunity to use the new online permit registration process. I must say, for all my hesitation to the program, it turned out to be enjoyable, easy, and intuitive.

Anyone who has used the ever illustrious "recreation.gov" site to book a trip in our public spaces knows how vexing getting through red tape can be. Great Smoky Mountain National Park's new online paid permit registration is not that kind of experience. Try it out for your self, no need to commit and pay for the permit: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm

You are offered a simple set of choices that run very smoothly together. You start off with the option of back country permits or AT hiker permits. There is a basic AT hiker permit of 20$. The backcounty option brings you to a general information page about the permits and access to the reservation window: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1

You select you group size and stock. It brings you to an actual map that allows you to select sites. Clicking on a camp site brings up a reservation calender that displays to you information on the occupancy of the site. You need only to click on the day to reserve that site.

After you have completed you trip schedule you have a few options for direct payment of 4$ per person per night ($20 max per person). You permit is emailed to you to be printed out.

It has some advantages like starting some backpacking trips at the more obscure trailheads without having to go to a permit station. I can also get there as late as I want. The 4$ per person per night thing though is kinda lame...especially if you loved GSMNP for its free permits.

-mg

5:30 p.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
917 reviewer rep
1,326 forum posts

Mike,

I also used it a couple weeks ago. My itenerary did not print on my reciept. Did yours?

7:27 p.m. on February 27, 2013 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Patman said:

Mike,

I also used it a couple weeks ago. My itenerary did not print on my reciept. Did yours?

It does not print the itinerary on the receipt. You only have access to your actual permit via the email they send to you once you have paid. YOu just follow one link from the email and it will allow you to download a PDF of the actual permit which you print out.

-MG

3:20 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
174 forum posts

I used it this week for the 1st time. It worked great except you only have 15 minutes to get everything done.  

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply