Tuolumne to the Valley

11:12 p.m. on March 28, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Anyone done it in two days? Anything to know, recommended layover area besides Sunnyside?
Thanks for anything.

1:55 p.m. on March 29, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,298 forum posts

In that direction (mostly downhill), it is an easy two days, especially by the Sunnyside route. If you are taking your 7 yr old (your RCU post), it might be a bit of a tough 2 days for him, unless you carry essentially everything except his jacket, water bottle, and lunch. There are a number of other nice places to camp along the way and a couple of alternate routes that I think are nicer. You might consider going over Cloud's Rest - much better view, or going down Lyell a way then over Vogelsang area. Remember that Little Yosemite Valley is Bear Central. Given how smart Yosemite bears are these days, you will have to use the bear boxes (Yosemite bears are required to have PhD degrees in obtaining human food from backpackers - latest dissertation was "Easy Entry to Large SUVs"). A ranger friend of mine who works the Yosemite backcountry showed me some photos of branches chewed off (one 8-inch diameter) and several cars that the bears just peeled the doors off of. So try to time things so you don't camp in Little Yosemite.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply