So Cal back country for novice question

12:19 p.m. on March 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Can someone help with information about a good place to backpack in So.Cal. This will be for 2 novice who just spent 2 months worth of wages on more equipment then they could every carry.

We are hoping to be able to fish, and do some target shooting(not hunt). We dont want to carry in to much water(will use Katadyn micro filters). We had originally thought, and is still the plan unless we find something else, about BLM land near Lake Isabella. We would prefer a more lush/forest area, not desert or scrub land. It will be 4 days over this coming Easter weekend, and we would prefer as remote as is feasible without getting ourselves into to much trouble(dont want to do a 127 hours). thanks

12:21 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Look at some tour books.  There are no secrets in So Calif on Easter weekend.

1:40 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

PCT in San Diego County Laguna Mountain Area and Palomar Mountain (6000 feet) area also,  many things to do, between these 2 areas Cuyamaca but is run by the state they have trout fishing or just keep going to Big Bear area, there still could be snow on the ground, 8000 to 12000 feet but has good area for camping with wilderness areas, permit required.  Also as a foot note John Muir walk this area.  Afoot Afield books by Jerry Schad are good help to SoCal Hiking.  If in San Diego County few wilderness areas but not great fishing, but great views.  Also require wilderness permit, but some areas are free.  Keep away from the border, not worth the risk, signs at trail head warns you how much danger on the trail.  

2:54 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you. We will check those areas out. Palomar Mountain is a little far to the south, but might be worth the extra drive. Beautiful looking area. I need to find out if the area allows for target shooting(the main reason for trying to stay away from areas that are heavily used). Once again thanks.

5:56 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

the only area I know of that allows target shooting is anza Borrego in san diego county. most wilderness areas that allow you to carry a firearm don't allow you to discharge it. I think it better to save the targets for the range.

1:17 p.m. on March 24, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

My friend was told about a trail near Pyramid lake around Los Padres NP(not sure if it is in inside the park or not) that we think will work. Around an area called Cobblestone Mountain, White,and Black mountain. Its just 25-30 minutes from my house. Anyone ever been there?

7:58 p.m. on March 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

you will have a hard time finding water. you should be prepared to pack it in. they allow hunting and shooting in the los padres national forest, I am not sure if that's where you will be. if it's state land they have their own rules, but in the national forest they encourage the use of lead free ammo. just be sure to clean up after your done shooting. not sure if you need a fire permit or not, probably do. not exactly sure where that area is.

1:04 a.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Trailjester

Thanks for the water update..I was hoping to follow Piru Creek, and use it for our water source. I would guess I should call someone in charge of the Los Padres NP to find out if that creek is dry this year or not. I read a blog by some guy called David Stillman(trailspacedotcom) which is how we came up with this place. The blog is from this time last year, and he is knee deep in water. The problem is we have had so little rain this year. So bringing water with us might be our only option. As far as shooting I will be useing mostly copper rounds for the 5.56, and have a steel backstop(it stops all but the fastest pistol rounds) for the pistols, and shotgun. I believe the area is near a condor sanctuary, so I will make sure about ammo type based on that as well. That's if I decide to still go target shooting. I found out my friend has never fired a firearm before, but because of the recent political climate wants to purchase one(in the past 2 months 4 other friends have have ask me to take them shooting for the first time in their lives as well, and help with purchasing their first firearm. Funny how that works). Because of his inexperience I think taking him to a firing range might be safer.

11:58 a.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

Shooting and hunting are legal on Nat Forests and wilderness areas unless there are special regulations.  Call the Forest Supervisor's office or the local Ranger District and ask.

5:44 p.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I think you should take your buddy to the range first. are you talking about fmj rounds? these are not lead free. the fmj round is a copper clad lead round. just be sure you clean up your spent ammo.

10:34 a.m. on March 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Like I said I probably will be taking him to the range, and not go shooting on this trip..If we did shot we would use all copper Blackhills TSX rounds. Not FMJ, copper plated lead core HP, OTM(although some are all copper), penetrator type rounds, or any variation of. At least not for the rifle. Since we would use a bullet catcher for the pistol rounds, and shotgun, lead shouldn't be a problem unless someone turns out to be a horrid shot at <25feet. Truthfully I was expecting to get a lot of she-it for even bringing up shooting, but needed some information before making the descion. Glad I was wrong. thanks for the replies.

8:01 p.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

there are many NRA members on here. the Canadian contingent seems to be anti gun, but they're in Canada.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply