Death Valley

10:36 p.m. on April 13, 2013 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

leaving in a week to spend a month in Death Valley and surrounding areas.Looking for great day hikes and anything that anybody thinks I shouldn't miss.I am well equipped with supplies and a great 4 wheel drive rig-plus I am in good shape for my age.I have hiked the area some in the past and am hoping to to see even more this trip.Thanks in advance for all input~~

11:01 a.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,143 forum posts

The remote sites are really interesting like Ubehebe Crater,Ballarat, Rhyolite, Saline Valley, Amargosa Opera house and the little towns over by Shoshone.

You are into the hot weather already, so be careful about water.  Over-estimate the amount you need.  For hiking, I would head to the higher elevations like around Wildrose and Mahogany Flat.

7:08 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I hope you like it hot! that's what you'll be...

11:26 p.m. on April 14, 2013 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I LOVE hot !! Sounds like a great idea to go high-so maybe Mahogany and Wildrose sounds good.Was at the kilns last year and loved it.Love Shoshone and Amargosa.Have a couple nights reserved at the opera house and also at Shoshone-so will look for trails in that area.Also booked 3 nights at date farm ( Cynthias)I think the wife called it.Should be some trails around those areas-or just take off and use GPS/compass.Hoping for some great loop trails-Thanks folks!!

12:12 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
39 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hey man!

Two buds and I are also going out to Death Valley this summer. We've got a website set up, full of trip plans, gear lists and itineraries. You can find us on Facebook by searching TeamTASSC!

- Tony

12:13 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,143 forum posts

Friend,

I think you are on the right track.  I found the Date Farm to be too weird.  The people in line were drug types, all twitchy and rapid speech.  I would re-think 3 days there.

6:34 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Sounds like a great adventure. I have a gift for you for this adventure. Feel free to e-mail me for the details. It is unique in design, and can be a great memory from the trip. Info@highmtns.com

7:40 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I just got home from another trip to DVNP (and surrounding area).  I go mostly to explore the back country in my Jeep, but do hike there quite a bit.  This trip was my 16th since 2003.

Anyway, for me, a lot (almost all) of the fun stuff is way too much for day hikes.  I  particularly like exploring old miner's camps, mines, and cabins, as well as hunting for rock art sites.

As far as hiking, I'd recommend Mosaic Canyon, Fall Canyon (next to the parking area at Titus Canyon), Ubehebe Crater, Ubehebe Peak (at least until the view of Racetrack gets good), Marble Canyon to the chock stone, and if you want an overnighter, then into Panamint City.

Driving? Titus Canyon, back way up to Cerro Gordo, Saline Hot Springs / Eureka Dunes, Butte Valley, Goler Wash - the list goes on.

And don't forget all the "touristy" spots.

Cheapest gasoline is at Stovepipe.  Panamint Springs is currently $5.98 for regular, but they do have cheap camping and over 100 different bottled beers.

Send me an email if you want other info.

10:38 a.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,143 forum posts

Tony,

Don't plan on going to Death Valley in the summer.  It is too dangerous, not to mention unpleasant.

11:52 p.m. on April 19, 2013 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Sounds like I might need to hit more overnighters with either pack or just camping !! I will be advised at Date Farm and cut it to 2 days now.Taking off Sunday morning and back mid /late May.Also-will try to access FB website-Thanks to all !! Appreciated (-:

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply