Hiking Mauna Kea this June

6:39 p.m. on April 15, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Friends, , I will be hiking Mauna Kea this June with my son. Am looking for pointer. We will be visiting from Colorado, so altitude will not be the issue. Has anyone done it before? Excited, but want to be prepared. Any help or advice would be great!

Ken

10:42 a.m. on April 16, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,210 forum posts

High,

I drove the road to the trailhead on Moana Loa.  It was wonderful to be in the koa forests with the honeydrippers.  It can definitely be wet up there and much cooler than you might expect.  Do some research on the weather.  You will have a lot of fun.

2:18 a.m. on April 17, 2013 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Mauna Kea is taller than you think. Take some warm clothes with you, it will be cold on top and possibly windy. While you are there, spend some time at Volcano National Park and visit Kileauea Crater.

1:39 p.m. on April 17, 2013 (EDT)
RETAILER
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for the info. We are going from Colorado, so we are ready for the altitude.  We have hiked 11 of the 14ers here in Colorado  and look forward to summiting the highest one in the islands!! Will be ready for weather and temp changes. 

We will get to Volcano Nat park  and hope to see mona lona also.  Any other places to see??   Thanks for the help!!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply