Monongahela NF

3:28 p.m. on April 21, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,227 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

Hello All!

I have never visited the Otter Creek Wilderness in Monongahela National Forest, and am planning to go very, very soon. Anyone with input? Thank you in advance!!!

5:45 a.m. on April 22, 2013 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

anyone that can spell that correctly is gonna have a great time.

I bet Rick from the 'Burgh has been there

Ed

from the 'Burgh

10:17 a.m. on April 22, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

Hi Munro - I've spent quite some time there around this time of year.  I would prepare for wet weather, and a lot of crowds during memorial day.

It's a lovely place! There are decent free maps available here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/mnf

A few things to keep in mind:

1. You will be in bear country. During the spring, the black bear in Otter Creek are curious and hungry. Hang your food!

2. Unexploded ordinance is an issue. If you stay on trail and camp in established campsites, you'll be fine. Going cross-country and building a fire in un-trampled ground is a serious no-no.

Travel safe and share pictures when you're back!

-Seth

12:12 p.m. on April 22, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,227 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

I've been to the Mon a few times, and there was definitely a lot of black bear activity in the Cranberry Wilderness (south MNF). It is after all, a black bear sanctuary. I am a little concerned about seeing more people, they're what I'm really afraid of... 

I'm waiting for the maps to come in the mail, just looking to stay off the old logging trails... 

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply