Need opinions on a Yosemite Valley loop

4:15 p.m. on April 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I'm planning on doing a 2 day, 1 night trip to Yosemite in a few weeks. I already have my permit, but am looking at doing this: 
Yosemite.jpg

(Yellow squares are the 1st day, yellow and red the 2nd)

I've never been out there before. I plan on hiking towards Merced Lake and camping near Echo Valley. I'm having issues finding the trail name that connects the trail from the valley/Merced Lake to the JMT at Echo Valley and am also finding it impossible to find an online map with mileage of those trails. I have a topo coming in the mail this week.

Is this a doable two day trip? 

10:51 p.m. on April 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I haven't done that specific loop (only parts of it), and I besides I don't know your hiking skill/endurance level, etc, so I don't want to make a guess that might just mislead you.  But I did find this map online which includes mileages for the area you'll be travelling ...

http://www.catterall.net/Yosemite/map100.jpg

6:21 a.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

That's what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

9:45 a.m. on April 30, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

I think you are overly ambitious considering how steep the valley is.  If you are marathoners or bike racers it might be doable.  Otherwise you will be hiking all day and really sore on day two.

11:55 a.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

I agree with ppine.  This is a LONG hike.  And if you are arriving the night before, it's not as if you are going to be fully acclimated.  It's over 5 miles to the top of Nevada Falls...and almost ten from Little Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake.  And there's a few miles in between.  Total elevation gain?  About 4,500 feet, much of it in the first five miles. 

If it were me, I would want to enjoy the view a bit more often...and pick a trail that didn't keep me hiking 8-10 hours each day 

6:46 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I'm an overly ambitious kinda guy.

10:42 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

gplg said:

Ok, I'll bite: what goal are you accomplishing on this hike?  You have chosen one of the more busy trails, and by no means the most scenic.  Heck, it is tough, but buy no means overly ambitious tough, perhaps 8 on a ten scale.  You were aware there are some elevens in the park for those brimming with ambition.. ..some with great vistas too...

Ed

11:04 a.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

If you want a more or less similarly ambitious hike, but would like to avoid the hordes of hikers and backpackers you are going to see on your current route, you might take a look at the Mono Meadows to Ottoway Lakes hike.  Same distance (maybe a bit less) and some climbing, but I'll bet you don't see more than ten people on that trail.  You're going to see hundreds, if not thousands, on your route. 

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iByd6U0O8CFMSL3NWGPevQ[/img]

Or just check out the destinations page:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iByd6U0O8CFMSL3NWGPevQ

fishing is better at Ottoway, too!

7:54 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

whomeworry said:

gplg said:

Ok, I'll bite: what goal are you accomplishing on this hike?  You have chosen one of the more busy trails, and by no means the most scenic.  Heck, it is tough, but buy no means overly ambitious tough, perhaps 8 on a ten scale.  You were aware there are some elevens in the park for those brimming with ambition.. ..some with great vistas too...

Ed

Just looking to a 2 day, 1 night trip. Already have the permit for Happy Isles to Merced.  My original plan was just to head out to the lake and back, but wanted to make a loop instead of doing an up and back. I'm sure there are much better hikes out there, but it's my first trip and that seems like the falls are a good place to see first. 

8:05 p.m. on May 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

balzaccom said:

If you want a more or less similarly ambitious hike, but would like to avoid the hordes of hikers and backpackers you are going to see on your current route, you might take a look at the Mono Meadows to Ottoway Lakes hike.  Same distance (maybe a bit less) and some climbing, but I'll bet you don't see more than ten people on that trail.  You're going to see hundreds, if not thousands, on your route. 

fishing is better at Ottoway, too!

That's beautiful.

11:10 a.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

WhoMel,

Great post.  I agree with you.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply