Best way to get tickets for Florence Lake water taxi

6:02 a.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I am planning a mid July trip up to Evolution Lake area of the JMT, and was wondering if it is possible to purchase tickets for the Florence Lake water taxi in advance.  Ideally I would like to do it before I leave for the trip, but if that is not an option, does anyone know if I get tickets the day before we plan to embark?  Any info regarding tickets would be a big help.

Ed

10:40 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Ed,

You don't need reservations, and if you go during the week, there is no problem getting on one of the two boats. My Scout Council has a summer camp on Huntington Lake, so a lot of troops heading into the Sierra go up to the camp the day before, then hop over the pass to catch the ferry. Their website is http://www.florence-lake.com/FL-Ferry.html. The prices are stiff these days, but worth it if you are spending a week in the backcountry to save the long hike around the lake. Some fun climbs in Evolution!

11:07 p.m. on May 1, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Thanks Bill.  You confirmed my hunch that tickets must be obtained in person, on site. 

We're going to do a little fishing, a little climbing, and a little just hanging out.  The variety of terrain and features makes this track one of the most enjoyable of Sierra hikes IMO.  I was always passing through on prior jaunts, as it was always part of more ambitious thru hikes.  But this time
Evolution Lake will serve as our base, so we'll have days to explore the high country thereabouts, not to mention the fine forest and meadows along the way in Evolution Valley.

Ed

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply