Hiking Japan

7:17 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I will be in Japan for 2 weeks in June and I am looking to do some hiking. I was hoping you could share any experience you have from hiking in Japan. Any suggestions on places to hike, what to do, what not to do, things to remember, areas to stay away from would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Zach

11:20 p.m. on May 3, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

We are planning to do some hiking and climbing in Japan in the next year or two. But we have the advantage of having a friend and a relative-by-marriage to guide us around and hike and climb with us. At this point, I can't give detailed help, since we are depending on the friend and the relative-family to do most of the arranging for us.

Fuji is, of course, on the list, despite the hordes of people who do it. I understand that there are some optimum times to do the hike, based on season and various festivals. The Japanese Alps on Honshu have a number of interesting climbs and hikes, though you should probably avoid the ski areas Nagano and Niigata because of cost, even in the off-season (it is cheaper for Japanese skiers to fly to the Canadian ski areas, like Banff and Whistler/Blackcomb than to ski their own areas!)

The Daiichi area, of course, is one to avoid, though it used to be a desirable place to visit before the tsunami.

10:32 a.m. on May 5, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

http://wildbazilchuk.blogspot.fr/2012/06/things-to-do-in-japan-part-1.html

My daughter's blog entry about a visit to Japan, including a little hiking.

12:23 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello Zach

I plan to hike on the north alps during one week in 10 or 15 days. I want to start to Murodo and finish to Matsumoto or Kamikochi. I've already make some hike in Europe and Népal. I'm french, i don't know one word in japanese, my english is really limited, but if you want to join me it will be a pleaser. This walk is not really difficult but the isolation and some high tops say to me that is better to be two.

If you are interrested, we can drink some thing in Tokyo to talking about,I'm near Ueno parc.

Théo

12:36 p.m. on July 22, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi theo

I'm planning to go on the same walk in August. How was your walk? I'm having some difficulty trying to get information about the overnight bus from shinjuku to murodo. Is there such a bus?

Thanks!! Ray

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply