Sedona AZ day hikes

10:35 a.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,328 forum posts

Howdy folks. I am going to be in Sedona for 9 days beginning on this Saturday with the family. I have been given "permission" to break off and go hiking one day.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good day hike within say like 30 mins of Sedona?

11:26 a.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,294 forum posts

Anywhere.  Spend some time in and around Oak Creek Canyon.  It is important to get away from the commercialized zone of the town site.  There is a lot of magnificent country out there.  My Dad had a ranch 40 miles from Sedona for 30 years.

The Oak Creek Tavern used to be a place before say 1985, when one could have a beer with local ranchers and a few western artists.  Everything has changed now with the Pink Jeeps, crystal gazers, and people on golf vacations.

9:39 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
45 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My brother-in-law, nephew and I went on the West Clear Creek trail.  It has 4 river crossings up to thigh depth.  We took it easy and camped at the "end" of the river section and then returned.  It can be done as a 13 mile, one day loop hike from a couple of locations.  We used the bull pen trailhead and just went up and down the creek which is about 6 miles each way.  It might push your 30 minute limit as it is east of Camp Verde.

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply