Allegheny Challenge

10:00 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

As I wanted to do something challenging this year, I signed up for the 50 mile version of the Allegheny 100 challenge.  

Starts on Friday June 7th @ 7pm.   My goal is to finish in less than 32 hours.  Actually I don't have a choice, as I need to be back for another commitment on Sunday morning.  

I think I got my gear list down, a lot of it is going to depend on the weather forecast.  Going as light as possible, no tent, no bag, only a hammock & some extra clothes & the essentials.  

I'm undecided on what to take for food & I think I was underestimating how much to take.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  type? amount? for this type of hike?

Thanks

Doug

3:02 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

I would bring mostly carbohydrates, but also some protein such as nuts, items that don’t require time and cooking gear for preparation.

I wouldn’t bother with a tent or hammock, as you will be on the move for most of the time period, but I would bring enough clothes to permit an extended nap Saturday afternoon.  Bring two extra changes of socks and use them, your feet will than you.  Light rain gear may also be appropriate.

Your biggest issue will be adequate preparation.  That is a large distance to cover in a short time.  Now is the time to start including long walks of 15 miles, or more, a couple of times per week into your training efforts, if you are not already doing so.  Even then, your feet and legs, but especially your knees, will be feeling it as the miles mount after 20.  An NSAID remedy of your choice taken as a prophylactic right before and throughout the event may mitigate the anticipated swelling and aches.

Ed

8:45 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

If you're in good shape, you can finish in 24 hours! I'd focus on chafing prevention first - consider some sport lubricant, compression tights. It's hard to recommend a hydration solution for everyone, but I'd expect to consume about 1/2 liter of fluids per hour on something like that.

2:04 p.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

If you're in good shape, you can finish in 24 hours!

+1

I dayhike the Grand Canyon R2R2R, 42 miles in about 16 hours, so completing the 50 miler in ~24 does seem reasonable and would allow you to eliminate all gear except clothing appropriate to the weather and a headlamp.

I would bring mostly carbohydrates, but also some protein such as nuts, items that don’t require time and cooking gear for preparation.

Agree with this too.  My food plan for an endurance hike is bland consisting of probars, gels, and water.  The probars are oats, fruit, nuts; I eat 1/2 every hour.  Plus 1 gel per hour.  Water, depending on temps somewhere between 1/2 and 1 liter per hour.  (of course afterward I don't want to look at a bar or gel for a few weeks)

And after the hike a celebratory beer.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply