Grafton Notch Loop

7:10 p.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
458 forum posts

Anyone have personal experience with this they can share?  I've had my eye on this place for a couple of years now. I found one trip report here from a few years back and I've been up and down the googles picking up what info I can but I can always use more.

I've figured out that I want to do it 8p and my wife sounds like she might give me a 3 night pass next month but I can't seem to decide which direction to go and what camps to aim for. I do know I'd like to avoid the Baldpate LT on the AT. If you've been I'd like to hear what you did, thanks!

4:30 p.m. on August 10, 2013 (EDT)
2,054 reviewer rep
458 forum posts

Went up today with the family for some hiking and a picnic. Interesting to drive/walk through different parts of the notch and be able to see the peaks of the loop from below. Looks pretty steep for an old fat man so I guess I'd better focus on getting younger in the next few weeks 8p

3:20 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
2,054 reviewer rep
458 forum posts

Prospective dates starting to show up on long range weather forecast.  Looking nice and cool for climbing all those peaks heh. Added a 4th night so I can detour down the AT and spend night 2 at Speck Pond.  Likely to see people but that will give me good incentive to get my butt over the Baldpates the next day to get away from them.

Just 7 more days of going over my gear list and checking the weather three times a day...just 7 more days...

6:14 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
2,054 reviewer rep
458 forum posts
  • Thursday Showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, gusty winds, and heavy rain. Patchy fog before 10am. High near 69. Breezy, with a southwest wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
  • Thursday Night Showers and thunderstorms before 2am, then showers likely. Some storms could be severe, with large hail, damaging winds, and heavy rain. Low around 51. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

I'm thinking maybe I'll wait until Friday to go up 8p

Losing a night means no Speck Pond detour but crossing exposed peaks during severe thunderstorms is not my idea of fun.

Looking frosty after this front goes through...good climbing weather for an old fat man!

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply