Long Trail Summer 2014 or BRP Cycle?

7:18 p.m. on September 27, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

howdy.

AT thru-hiker here planning/hoping/secretly dying stars align for a 2014 summer NOBO long trail thru OR a blue-ridge parkway cycling thru.

serious inquiries only please.

f, 37, fit, non-smoker, non-drug user.

thanks for reading.

peace!

8:23 p.m. on September 27, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

The Blue Ridge Parkway sounds nice! I have been bicycle touring since 1982 every year. never driven a motor vehicle since I was 16 in 1972 with a moped. I have toured about 200,000 miles around the US.

m,57,fit,NS,ND

I rode from Tucson to Orderville Utah last April. I generally ride about 5000 miles a year spring and fall.

8:41 p.m. on September 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

gary~

thanks the inspiration!

how nice it would be to cycle with a veteran like yerself,

honestly it will come down to moola, I do so think.

time shall tell all.

leslie

10:13 p.m. on September 28, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

I am currently living and working here outside Zion NP saving for my next trip somewhere. Planning to stay the winter and thru next summer then going on a bike trip, not sure where yet, have 12 months to consider it.

Read my Trailspace profile for more about my lifestyle

10:59 a.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,055 forum posts

Hey 522 - did you thru-hike in 2002? I hiked that year too. I'm Spoonful.

The long trail requires surprisingly little planning compared to the AT. Distances are more manageable between resupply and shelters.  Terrain is very rugged though, and you are just getting into shape when you're finished. Buddha from 2002 found it really challenging and wrote a funny trail journal about it: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=288672

Paradoxically, the BRP cycle trip would probably cost more.  Each time I bike tour, I end up spending more money - mostly on junk food! It's also a pain to get a bike to the place where you want to ride.

If you're not familiar with routine bike maintenance things, a companion would certainly be helpful on the ride.

Either way - I'm looking forward to seeing a trip report!

6:41 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

seth~

affirmative on the A.T. 2002 thru.

had we crossed paths?

pardon my memory (or lack thereof).

I would agree with the LT being a more optimal choice, if for no other reason than the fact that i'm altogether new to bike packing (as it were) and my technical skills in this regard are weak-at-best.

the intention being to make a vid of my trek, whichever choice I land on.

best.

4:03 p.m. on November 3, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

522, although I will be hiking a long trail in the summer of 2014 it won't be the Long Trail.  I am gearing up and training up to thru hike the PNT (Pacific Northwest Trail) in the summer of 2014.  Hope you have a good hike on the LT. 

Wolfman

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply