Guatemala

10:44 a.m. on September 30, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I will be in Guatemala for about 10 days in December and don't have any plans.

Have any of you traveled in Guatemala? If so, what did you do? What would you do again? What do you wish you would have done? What would you avoid?

I have never traveled in Central America. I do not speak any Spanish. So I am just looking for suggestions/guidance from some experienced folks.

Thanks

Zach

2:40 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

I stayed at Lake Atitlan for about 10 days...the lake is an old volcano...wonderful climate!...at lower elevations the climate is less praise worthy:-(

Food = Delicious...had fresh hand-made tortillas several times a day...never tired of it. Oh!...and salsa is apparently anything made with tomato...so totally okay when they put it on your pasta:-)

Learn some basic phrases or nouns in Spanish...literacy rate is low..so English speakers are rare (bano [bon-yo] = bathroom!)

El Gallo (cock) is obviously their beer of choice...taste terrible...but I somehow didn't mind it given how beautiful it is at elevation.

The dollar is accepted by nearly everyone...goes incredibly far...and will cost you a lot of money to use as the "rounding" to the nearest dollar often means paying 25-50% more for many things.

Their politics are for real!...and there are occasional kidnappings...but this is exaggerated at the State Department because of politics.

Drink bottled-water...and bring a Steripen...or Aquamira if you're bringing more than a carry-on.

5'5" is about average height for males...so if you're around 6' or more you can usually see for miles.

Guatemala-1.jpg

Guatemala-2.jpg

9:13 a.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks Joseph. Those pictures are incredible. I am getting so excited about my trip. Did you try scuba? I am an avid diver and read about a shop those does dives in the lake. Also where did you stay while you were there?

1:15 a.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

zfetcko...No...I did not do any scuba...sadly scuba+caving+flying have a similar negative affect on my mind...the idea that once committed I have to stick it through the duration...and the thoughts of all the unlikely scenarios that could happen race into my mind (lol). I would imagine however...that scuba in the lake would be amazing!

I stayed at a Yoga retreat while there...not really into Yoga...and the name escapes me...but I'll attach a photo for you!

Guatemala.jpg

12:34 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Zach,

I have never been to Guatamala, but have traveled in the Andes. My brother spent a couple of months there this year. He took a Spanish class for 6 weeks and rented an apartment. He like it so well he stayed another month before heading south down thru Central America, Columbia, Equador, Peru and  Bolivia.

He was gone for 5 months and had some strong ideas about Guatamala. There is a strong Indio (Native Indian) presence mixed with Spanish. It is a relatively poor country with really friendly people. Study some Spanish before you go because it makes everyone so happy when you try to speak it. English will only get you so far. The physical geography of the country is astounding. Travel outside the cities. Open your mind to the local shaman and ceremonies that are found everywhere. Show respect for an ancient and glorious culture which is tied directly to the past.

3:25 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Zach. Have fun. Ia m sure you will find great activities and wonderful memories will be made.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply