Going to hike Red Hollow today

10:01 a.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

This morning I slept in a few hours as its my day off from work. I am getting up soon and then heading down to Orderville about a mile down the highway to head to Red Hollow, a small short but interesting canyon I have hiked a few times over the years. Its a wide V shaped canyon with high red sandstone walls It starts out in a usually dry wash 90% of the year. Flash floods have shaped it over the century's into a very nice place. 

I will post images and a trip report later today. Just waiting for the sun to come up a bit more as it has to come over a 1000 foot cliff to the east of where I live. I can just see the tops of the juniper,cedar and pinion pine covered hills to the west of me now getting their dose of sun shine. 

Later....

10:46 a.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Slot canyons are exciting places to hike. I have always like Paria Cyn.

I heat my house with pinon pine, not to be confused with ppine, ponderosa pine.

10:58 a.m. on October 22, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I wondered where you came up with your nickname here at TS? Its getting sunny out finally now. I am about to leave for Red Hollow. I have hiked the Paria, have you done Buckskin Gulch, ppine? Its supposed to be the worlds longest slot canyon at 13 miles long from Wire Pass to the confluence with the Paria.  See this link about it:

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/buckskin.htm

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply