About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Now thinking of going southeast to southern Arizona

12:27 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

Instead of the Grand Canyon am thinking of heading thru Zion then down thru Arizona to Tucson and then bicycling thru the southeastern part of the state, down to Nogales, the up to Patagonia/Sonoita Sate Park east of the Santa Rita Mountains, then to Sierra Vista, Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, back north thru the Chiricahua Mountains the to Wilcox and back toward Tucson by the Rincon Mountains east of the city and around by the Santa Catalina mountains. Maybe like a month or two before getting back to the city or just staying out in the eastern Sonoran Desert and going to resupply in the city as needed.

Was going to stay here in SW Utah but now that the cold weather actually here I think I miss the warm desert I have lived in the last 5 winters.

Old and scarry as someone else made a post about, that's me, I like hiking and biking and being warm year round, north in summer south in winter

::) <Alien smiley 

1:15 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I was wondering how you were going to handle the cold. :D  It seems that has not really been your thing for quite a few years.  I say go for it!  No reason you have to head out into the wilderness in the cold, unless you want to.  It does make things a little more complicated.  

Wolfman

7:13 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

Well, mainly my reason for heading south is the fact that I have a daily commute to work of 6 miles when its dark and cold at around 6 am every work day morning. My clothing keeps me warm enough but I have yet ti find a glove system that keeps my finger tips from freezing and its not even true winter yet with snow on the ground and ice compacted snow on the highway to work. I am in fear that once it snows I will really be in trouble with the cold.

If my friend changes his mind and does not come out then my plan is to ride southwest through Zion NP (stopping to see it again) and then ride to St George and having my bike taken apart and boxed at a bike shop and then taking Greyhound to Tucson.

I have a friend down there where for the last two winters I have stayed for just the cost of the electricity of $40 a month to use an electric cord to the small trailer I stayed in.

Then I would still like to do a bike tour through the SE corner of Arizona going to places like Bisbee, Tombstone and Douglas AZ and the Chiricahua mtns.

Yes I am not eager any longer to battle the cold. I will be 58 in January and have been going south for the winters since the early 1980's.

10:19 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
964 forum posts

Patagonia/Sonoita is a great area. Ironwood Forest NM and the Silver Bell mountains are very neat. Make sure to share pictures if you're heading over there Gary!

11:04 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

I have always wanted to spend the winter sometime around Patagonia. Cold is not much of a problem. The Chirachoua Mtns are close by.

12:35 p.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

Yes me too, its very nice down that way. Last winter in Tucson it was 70 on Christmas day. I have hiked near Sierra Vista and Madera Canyon along the Santa Rita's. Never been to Bisbee or Tombstone or anywhere in SE Arizona beyond Wilcox.

I have my new Canon T3 and will be doing trip reports as I get to libraries and Wifi spots.

4:47 p.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

I just today gave my boss a 3 week notice and said I planned to come back next spring as she said that would be good. I plan to leave around the 23rd of November a couple days after the next pay period pay day. I should have about $1500 saved by then.  Plenty enough for me to live on my bike and camp all winter till April when I come back like last spring.

10:45 p.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Gary, You have one Hell of a great Life!  So damn Envious!! :D  Have fun, be safe and stay warm (when you can). 

11:43 p.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

Should be nice once I get to southern Arizona, have been looking at maps and images of the areas I plan to cycle tour down there. 

Check out this link to a free site where you can see anywhere in the USA and world and even has a Google Maps like little man you drag to locations to see the real lay of the land. I use this Acme Mapper when bike touring to see both roads and views of the landscape. It helps when water sources are far and few in between.  Lots of other interesting features too on the map area.

http://acme.com/mapper3/

Just drag to the area you want to see or zoom out and then double click the area you want to zoom, there is also a zoom in and out bar under the little man image on the left. On the upper right is different other types of maps and ways to view the area.

Starting tomorrow morning I am riding with Ron the led cook from his house to work with him instead of pedaling in the cold. He lives just a mile down the road from me in the town of Orderville, Utah. I ride with him everyday we work together but when it was warmer mornings I was just pedaling. Getting too cold to do that comfortably anymore.

8:32 a.m. on November 8, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,938 forum posts

I think (therefore I am) that I will follow my own lead and instead of taking the bus to Tucson from St George, I will bike south to SE Arizona. Head down US 89 to Kanab, then ride east to Page, with a side trip down the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, then in Page area trying to see Antelope Canyon a slot canyon on the Navajo Reservation. Then take the new 89T a newly used bypass going around a earthquake slide on 89a that took out the highway in February 2013, down to near Tuba City AZ to see the Moenkopi Dinosaur Tracks.  Then down to the Wupatki National Monument  and Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument.  

Then on to (bold keeps turning on, sorry) Flagstaff and Sedona to the Red Rock-Secret Mountain Wilderness area. Then on southeast towards Tucson. 

My route south of Sedona is still not known, but I may go down to Montezuma Well and the Wet Beaver Wilderness area. 

Course this all could change if my friend drives me south, tho I may talk him into the above route anyway

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply