Free website for maps in atlas and topo views and satellite imagery

9:50 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm 

This is one of the main site's I also use to see everywhere in the country including street view (works like Google Maps except its free) I can view anywhere in North America including all of Canada,Alaska and Hawaii and all the rest of the world in satellite, topo, or (atlas) map view and terrain. Has zoom in and out.
In street view I can see exactly what to expect in hills/mountains to climb or coast, how level it is and all the features of the landscape, creeks,rivers,lake,etc for possible water sources.

8:38 p.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

MyTopo is a subsidiary of Trimble (the GPS people), formerly an independent company. You do have to pay if you order printed maps from them (extremely high quality maps, custom cut to your specifications and scale). I have several maps I bought from them and have heavily used.

6:11 a.m. on November 22, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

Weel, my main reason for using them online is that I don't buy printed maps. I use the site to view my routes along the way for my tours. And with street view I can see all around the road area's knowing what to expect. Last fall when I rode from 29 palms to parker I found the onlywater source was the Colorado Aquaduct, but it had a 8 foot chainlink fence around it that extended for miles as far as I could see both north and south. But being I carried 10 liters of water the 2 days I rode the 100 miles from 29 Palms to Parker it was no problem. I use a Pure' water filer for when I can find water sources like water troughs with wind vane pumps out in the open pasture country along the way. Last fall during a ride between Superior and Picket Post Mtn , AZ I found a wind vane tank that was dug into the ground lined with cement and so deep I could not touch bottom while treading water in it. Even had its own little creek from the over flow running down to the nearest wash.

4:26 p.m. on December 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,393 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

My two favorites...completely free and you can print to PDF.  

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply