Question about entering Mexico?

10:49 p.m. on November 22, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,160 forum posts

Along my upcoming bicycle tour I am going to be close to Mexico at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat Monument,  Nogales and Douglas all in Arizona. I was told by someone that travel in Mexico was possible as far as 100 miles with out a passport. Is this true or false? Can I get into Mexico, is it safe?

9:58 a.m. on November 23, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,160 forum posts

This answer I got from a friend of mine in San Diego CA:

You can leave the US, and they have to let you back in, even if you don't have a passport.  The mexicans will always ask for ID when they stop you at the border checkpoints.  the checkpoints are manned by the federales, the armed forces of mexico.  In the past americans did not need a passport to visit mexico. I read this, it says that you don not need a passport to get your tourist document as far as the mexicans are concerned, they just want your 20 dollars.FM-T is your tourist card and it looks like you can get one, just get your voter ID and state ID with pic.  The consulate and this may, in some cases, takes up to 30 days to be processed. Even if your travel agency informs you of the procedures and resolution times, we recommend that you confirm these by calling the corresponding consulate.  In the case of U.S. and Canadian Citizens, The FM-T may be obtained by presenting one of the following documents: a) Passport b) Birth Certificate, accompanied by a photo I.D., or c) Voter’s Card, accompanied by a photo I.D. 

Although some nationalities are not asked to present their passport, it is always recommendable to bring it. If you have it, it will make your entry faster and more certain. It is necessary to have the migratory form with you while you remain in Mexico, and turn it in when you leave the country.  It looks like that you could get a tourist card with your birth certificate and an ID.  the mexicans don't seem to require a passport for americans.  as I said it is the americans who will ask for it when you come back.  but since you are an american, they can't refuse you entry because you don't have it and it is not a crime not to have it.You can go 20 to 30 k within the country before they will ask for your ID.  then if  you have your tourist card you can show them that. You have to go to the mexican consulate to get that and pay 20 dollars and you can stay in  mexico for 180 days.

Nogales (the northern part of Sonora): Calle San Jose, Fraccionamiento "Los Alamos"; telephone (011) (52) (631) 311-8150. You could go to this address in Nogales and ask for a tourist card.  it will cost 20 dollars, just show your birth certificate or your voter ID and they should give you a tourist card.  if not you go back to the US.  they will let you back without problem.  the law says you don't need a passport as far as the mexicsans are concerned, but I don't know if they agree with that.

8:45 a.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Bring a passport Gary. They may have to "let you back" but being repatriated via an ICE van will have a lot of costs and legal hassles you don't want to mess with.

12:16 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,160 forum posts

Not planning to go down there anymore, I have a four month 2000+ mile bicycle tour planned just in UT,NV,CA,AZ,NM,and back here to Utah, tween Dec 2nd and March 31st.

4:20 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Glad you rethought that. Mexico is no place to be on a bike with all the hostages and crap going on there now. We just recently had a training from the Metro police about the drug cartels and safety of Americans....NONE! As far as if you DID go, never go without a passport. Last I went it was required post 9/11. And remember, that one day may be different from the next as the federales extort money from Americans for anything and everything they can.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply