Well its here I am off work till next April

4:46 p.m. on November 30, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

I am about to start my newest travel adventure on Monday. Tomorrow will sort my gear and traveling light as it will be getting warmer as I go southwest. Got my front and rear racks on my mountain bike and will fill the panniers tomorrow. 

First day out will be a short one just 20 miles from home to Zion Park where i will stay a few night and do some day hikes and take pictures. Then Thursday i will go to St George Utah and stay with some friends. Everyday after that i will go between 30 and 50-60 miles a day. In about two weeks I will round the west side of the Salton Sea and be at Slab City CA for Christmas and New Years with a friend. Then on to Tucson in January for a month.

Then in February I am heading to the southeastern parts of Arizona and up through the Gila Wilderness in western New Mexico and eventually through the four corners area where UT,NM,AZ and CO come together. Then swing back west through southern Utah and be back to work another summer here at the edge of the Grand Staircase Nat Mon.

I will start posting trip reports from St George next Thursday of my hikes in Zion and then when I can get online after that all the way around and back home here next Spring.

9:17 a.m. on December 1, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,663 reviewer rep
778 forum posts

Safe travels, Gary.

11:55 a.m. on December 1, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

Thanks! Cleaning house and getting it ready for my lack of being here for four months. Packing the bike today and will be on my way in the morning.

12:34 p.m. on December 2, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

Well, I must be getting old or something! I rode my bike down here to work and changed my mind along the way. Decided I don't want to ride to southern California and Tucson. There's plenty of hiking around here. Its slow here at work and I will barely pay the rent and groceries but I have a nice place to live and a good job. Been on the road almost 40 years time to retire! That was the plan when I came back here last spring. Crazy it took a ride down from home 6 miles to convince me to stay. Thinking and planning the ride was easy, riding and thinking of the long days on the road in the middle of no-where got me thinking.

So I will be hiking around here and posting trip reports, later...

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply