Southwestern map of Utah

11:47 a.m. on December 12, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

utah-map.gif

For those of you travel next summer looking for new places to see, come to southwestern Utah and northwestern Arizona's canyon country.

I live in Orderville and work at Mt Carmel Jct near the center of this map.

There is plenty to see and do here. Examples of the areas above are:

Bryce-NP.jpg

Bryce Canyon NP country full of standing sandstone Hoo Doo's sculpted by millions of years of erosion, Named for Ebenezer Bryce a early pioneer who was to have said "Hell of a place to lose a cow!"

37479_103747539679213_6525608_n.jpg

Zion NP A long deep canyon cut by the Virgin River through 1000's of feet of towering sandstone cliffs.

Cedar-Breaks.jpg

Cedar Breaks Nat Mon (note elevation at this overlook) Cedar Breaks looks a lot like Bryce but is views are from 10,000' 

Red-Hollow-1.jpg

Red Hollow near where I live in Orderville, foto taken by one of my employers. Its a narrow slot canyon.

The-Wave.jpg

The Wave at Coyote Buttes in NW Arizona in the Paria Wilderness

sunset-arch-grand-staircase-escalante-na

Sunset Arch Grand Staircase Nat Mon. GSNM actually encompasses much of the area between  Moab and Zion NP with many diverse land areas.

grand-canyon-north-rim-view-greg-norrell

View looking southeast from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Buckskin-Gulch-in-northwestern-Arizona.j

Buckskin Gulch in the Paria Wilderness a 13 mile long slot canyon averaging as wide as a doorway and a few hundred to a 1000 feet deep. Do not hike in the monsoon season! Different every year with deep cold pools of water, quicksand, debri dams,thick mud pools,etc.

Escalante-Canyon.jpg

Canyons of the Escalante River

IMG_0833Anthony-walking-in-Parunuweap-Ca

Parunuweap Canyon East fork of the Virgin River near Mt Carmel Jct

I have shown just a few of the many place to see around SW Utah. There are so many more. 

If you come through this area I live, look me up and I can show you around.

3:45 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Hi Gary and All - I am planning a visit to the Grand Staircase-Escalante NM in April and curious whether you could compare between these two destinations as bases for car camping: Pump Canyon Springs, west of the Cockscomb and Dance Hall/Sooner Rocks, east of the Straight Cliffs.  We plan to do day hiking and mtn biking - not technical canyoneering.  I have two terriers and have issues with the leash requirement in the Glen Canyon Rec area.  Overall impressions for this time of year?  Relative crowdedness at camp areas and trailheads, etc. would be quite welcome.  Thanks!!!

6:34 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

I have never been to either of the places you mentioned,sorry!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply