The Arizona Trail

1:04 a.m. on January 2, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/passages.php

This link above has all the maps for the entire AZT the Arizona Trail, which goes from the Mexican border to the Utah border through the state of ,you guessed it, "Arizona"!

If you click on the Yes word under Passage Map the map area for the Passage Name list come's up.

My goal for next fall,winter and spring are to hike the AZT from southern Utah to the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson and back again to Utah spending about 785 miles of walking one way around 65 days each way. 

I plan to leave SW Utah around Oct 1st 2014 and hitchhike to where the trail leaves highway 89A about 2 miles NE of Jacob Lake AZ and walking south towards the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Once in the GC I plan to have a permit to stay in the canyon for 7-8 days hiking across the 23 mile stretch so as to see place I have not been to since late 2002. 

After the South Rim i will walk all the way down to the Santa Rita Mountains which are about 60 miles straight south of Tucson. Then return to Tucson for about a month and in early January starting back north on the trail to northern Arizona, getting back to Utah in mid March after another hike across the Grand Canyon, the only section I will need a backpacking permit to hike. 

This link goes to a map of the whole trail ,its interactive and you can zoom in or out to see more detail of the trail.

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/azuretwitter/index.html?appid=d0bd6b049c14473b9241daebc2df5890

9:33 a.m. on January 2, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report and seeing pictures from your journey! Years ago I worked on legislation that designated the AZT a National Scenic Trail. My motivation for working on that project was that free spirits like you could enjoy walking through the wilderness of AZ!

10:19 a.m. on January 3, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Thank you Seth! I am looking forward to doing the trail. Its been 10 1/2 years since I dd any long backpacking trips. I have seemed to focus on bicycle trips only. I used to alternate every year from 1982 to 2003 from doing a bike tour one fall, winter and spring to doing long backpacking trips the next ones. But I got so into doing the bike trips since 2009 that I have lost all contact with total nature trips. 

If I do this down in the fall, early winter and back in the mid winter to early spring I will have walked about 1600 miles and be back in shape. I am in shape for cycling but my leg muscles and back have not supported a backpack loaded with all my camping gear since I hiked in the Grand Canyon in 2003.

The first part of this hike will be a week to cross the 23 mile distance through the Grand Canyon from the North Rim to the South Rim a so called R2R. It can be easily done in 1-3 days as there are three campgrounds in between rims. But my plan is to stay at each of the 3 camps a few days each to have time to explore some of the many places nearby.

The before mention ATA website lists a book on the trail but it describes how to hike it from Mexico to the Utah Border. I plan to hike it in reverse being I live in southern Utah.

10:35 a.m. on January 3, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

WOW...and ADVENTURE for sure! Will be so nice to follow you!

12:48 p.m. on January 3, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

Okay you can follow me giftogab but I take big steps :) I average one step to the average persons 2 or about 4.5 feet per stride.

2:28 p.m. on January 3, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I could never hike with you Gary...I am slow and just your steps would leave me far and away! Add speed to that and I am SUNK!

10:42 a.m. on January 5, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,213 forum posts

If anyone out there in Trailspace-land would like to join me on any portion of my AZT hike please let me know. The only section I will need advance notice on is the Grand Canyon's 23 mile Rim to Rim crossing in early October as I need to apply for the back country permit in May. Otherwise any sections south of the GC will be through wilderness.

And if any of you know of anyone interested and has the time to do this let them know and have them send me a private message here at Trailspace.

You can check out the trail at this link: http://www.aztrail.org/  Look under Trail Resources ( upper left part of the link page), then Passages to see the topo maps of the trail. Click on the word YES under Passage Map to see each of the individual maps of the trail. The list starts with the southern end of the trail at the top, but I am starting at the northern end near the bottom. The first map to look at is called Kaibab Plateau Central. I am starting 2 miles northeast of Jacob Lake on highway 89A on the map shown there. Then the next map will be above each in the list all the way to the Santa Catalina Mountains Passage map. I am going to cutting off this map near the Sycamore Reservoir shown on the map and hiking out Bear Canyon past my favorite Seven Falls area and terminating the hike at the Sabino Canyon Recreation Area.

The maps are in PDF file, if you save them to your computer you can then zoom in to see better detail.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply