New travel plans

7:14 a.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Right now I am considering two options for this summer.

#1. Selling my bicycle in May and then taking Greyhound to Wyoming for the summer in Jackson Hole to backpack. Or:

#2. Keeping my bike, and riding to the north towards Jackson WY and living on my bike all the way there. Option two seems more rational in a sense as for the cost of a bus ticket to Wyoming I could cycle there and use the same money to just eat on. I just looked it up currently its $106 at the cheapest fare to Idaho Falls ID one way. Then I would have to take a shuttle to Jackson for another $70 one way. So for the $176 I could eat and bike tour for about a month and still make it there in that amount of time. At between $5 and $10 a day I could spend between 16 and 35 days cycling to NW Wyoming. And I would go to Panguitch, Bryce NP, Escalante UT, and follow my nose back to Wyoming. 

Yeah, its a lot of miles, 560 going the straightest most direct routes. Going the scenic route much farther. Last Fall/Winter in 2012 it took me 2 weeks to ride from Jackson WY to Show Low AZ at about 1000 miles.

Note I sent this email to myself as well as you. I do that because this way I save my idea to myself, by doing so I can make better decisions in the future, acting on planned idea's.

I, at the moment thinking about this would rather do option #2 because of the thrill of adventure, and I like an adventure! I have been on many of them the last 37 years since June 1977 when I first left home in Hope Arkansas to hitchhike 8000 miles around the USA and then hitch another 2000 miles to Anchorage AK.

Ya'll have known me fairly well these last 5 years since I joined this site. I like to bicycle tour, cause a car is something I would have to learn to drive and seems way to expensive to me being I have never had one. My idea's are extensive because I am a FreeBird, in Lynard Skynard's words.

I have thought about this and have about 4 more months to ponder it some more. I may do this or something completely different. I will have to wait and see. Check back here at Trip Planning and eventually I will come up with a game plan and let ya know.

11:36 a.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Fun to watch you brain storm. Hope Arkansas huh....did ya happen to know a guy from there named Bill?

6:50 p.m. on January 23, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Bill Clinton was not born in Hope, his family lived there for a short while after he was born and moved away when he was about 3. But don't tell that to the tourists who stop by his "childhood home". It was an abandoned rundown house before his parents bought it and after they moved away it was to return to a shamble. It did'nt become the famous "Clinton slept here" until he became president, then it was fixed up and so called restored to make it look like it could have when he lived there.

Hope is better known for a 249 lb watermelon grown in 1976 that beat the old 1940's record of 219 lbs. They have huge watermelon festival every fall when the melons are ripe.

Also there is Old Washington AR about 8 miles NE of Hope that is known as the Civil War Capital. When Little Rock was about to be captured during the cCivil War many of its important papers and document where moved to Washington, now called Old Washington. The town is set to look like it did in the 1860's with a Cotton Gin, and many old period houses. There's even a Blacksmith shop where Jim Bowie while on his way to the Alamo in Texas is said to have had his famous Bowie Knife made by the blacksmith in Washington. Even Sam Houston passed through Washing ton on his way to Texas and the Alamo.

Many of the documents that were transferred to Washington AR were never taken back and are preserved in a museum there.  And they have a huge Jonquil flower festival about the same time as Hope's Watermelon one.

Hope like many counties in SW Arkansas is a dry county, meaning no alcohol is served or sold there. People who want to drink either go to private clubs with alcohol licenses or drive to Texarkana to buy it 30 miles away.

5:14 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

But......he was...The Man From Hope....they told us! :)

9:52 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

Who told you? He lived there as a toddler. I have not lived in Hope since 1973 year round since I was in high school, so I am only going on what I learned in school. I am originally from upstate New York. We didn't move to Hope until June 1972 when my father retired. My brother in law was born and raised in Hope and he retired there after 21 years in the Air Force. We moved down for my parents to be close to their grandchildren.

I disliked moving because I was labeled an outsider being all the kids there consider me a Yankee. Its was bad time still to be a northerner,Mexican or black. Intrigration had been around since the days of Martin Luther King but black people/African American's were still being treated as second rate human's. There was a separation in school of most African American kids, from kindergarten to high school. In my high school class there was one black guy. He was like an outsider. But I knew how he felt. I had one friend in school only because he was also originally from the north in Chicago.

Even in college in Poteau OK I was considered an outsider, Teachers were okay but most kids were not. Amazing that to go to college.

In NY all colors of skin lived together and there seemed no barriers at least as I remember it as a elementary kid being bus from the rural countryside. In Arkansas was the first time in 16 years I had lived in a town especially as large as Hope. Sodus NY where I grew up 2 miles from was small about 2000 people.

I was last in Hope about 20 years ago and it has grown into a very mixed culture and seems doing better than when I went to school there in the early 1970's.

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply