Day Hikes in the Catskills

11:31 a.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

I have a friend who is traveling to the Catskills this March. She asked me if I knew any good day hikes in the Catskills. I said I didn't, but that I bet someone on Trailspace does. She is looking for at least two hikes, one rather easy (that she could take her two year-old on with her), and one not more than 6 miles round trip. She would like for both suggestions to be somewhere really pretty (ie. waterfall or really nice view). Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ashleigh

12:21 p.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,741 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

I do not have too many recommendations for the Cats as I have only been there a handful of times. Being March though there is still a high probability for ice and snow. Catskill regulations are similar to the Adirondacks in which it is required to have snowshoes and crampons in use/possession if the snow depth is over i think 6 inches. The fine is enough to buy a good pair =P

EDIT: Some quick research, and i think this regulation is only for the ADK High Peaks area. But double check for yourself just to be on the safe side.

That being said, Poet's ledge is a 6.14 mile round trip, and North Point/North Mountain is a 5.9 mile round trip. Both with great views, moderate difficulty. Kaaterskill falls is a 2 mile round trip easy hike, best after a large rain or snowmelt as the water is otherwise fairly low and the falls not very spectacular.

Most of the other places I have been are more like 5-10 miles each way.

9:27 p.m. on February 3, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Thank you so much! I will pass along the information.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply