Annual Havasupai Trip

2:00 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I finally got through by phone to the tribe and made reservations for my annual backpacking trip into Havasupai falls.  I will be going for 4 nights in April.  This trip is going to be a special one since my 10-yr old little man is going to be coming along this year.  It will be his first time.  I am pretty excited.   It will be a fun trip.

pic17.jpg

6:52 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

Have you hiked down all the way to the Colorado River? A friend and I got a late afternoon start and got to the last campsite right above Mooney Falls. The  next morning we got up at sun up climbed down through the travertine and all the way to the Colorado River. The water was shallow and we waded and swam at the moth of the Havasu Creek where it emptied into the Colorado River. We saw a herd of Big Horn sheep at the confluence.

Then we hiked all the way back and go to the tunnel through the travertine at sundown barely getting to the top and back to our camp at dark. The next dat we hiked out. It was in October.

7:06 p.m. on February 5, 2014 (EST)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

That sounds fun gary!

I had a permit last year to camp at the confluence of Havasu Creek and the Colorado River.  We made it as far as Beaver Falls and spent the rest of the day cliff diving.  We didn't make it to the Colorado so I really didn't need the permit.  Maybe we will get down there this year.  

9:04 a.m. on February 6, 2014 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

Yeah, it was a long day hike for us being its about 10 miles each way.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply