La Cloche Silhouette/Killarney P.P, Ontario - August 14'

11:07 a.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello all, I'm a new member as of today, looking forward to learning all I can from a very knowledgeable community.  I am planning a 7 1/2 day backpacking trip on the La Cloche Silhouette trail.  

I've read numerous trip reports on this, viewed countless videos but am hoping to get some good feedback on my plans; as I(26) am bringing along my boyfriend(28)and another couple(23&27) and really want them to enjoy themselves.  

I've explained to everyone that to enjoy the trip we should dedicate a good time to preparing physically for the hike, which I'm hoping they take very seriously.  

Any feedback on site selection, which legs to do when, even if the dates could be better (seeing the less people, the better) etc, would be greatly appreciated; although we do want to go in August to enjoy the summer heat, as this winter has been particularly long, and snowy so far.

**A note: I have been using Jeff's Killarney Map (search on google) to plan this trip, and reading others reports, this map seems very accurate, and very handy. Any info on this map would be appreciated as well, as I am banking that it's accurate.**

I so far have 3 "itineraries" but am only posting Plan B, as it fits our time off perfectly. The given times on map are rated for veterans, so I added 2 hours to each hike, to account for pace, weather etc. 

August 9th to 16th

Day One: Saturday 9th 

Depart home @ 6:00 am

Drive to George Lake - aprx 3 1/2 hrs ( + misc stop, fuel)

Arrive George Lake @ 9:45 am collect permits, park cars 

Depart George Lake @ 11:00 am 

Hike to H7 / Topaz lake

Day Two: Sunday 10th

Depart H7 @ 8:00 am - hike to H21 / Three Narrows

Day Three: Monday 11th

Depart H21 @ 8:00 am - hike to H33 / Little Mountain Lake

(I've read this can be challenging, but am hoping to get most of that ridge section out of the way in one shot, having a full day to rest, to finish off the last section of the ridge closer to Silver Peak)

Day Four: Tuesday 12th

** Rest Day @ Little Mountain Lake :-D **

Day Five: Wednesday 13th

Depart H33 @ 8:00 am - hike to H37 / Silver Lake

(We may or may not summit silver peak, depending on how we feel, time and weather - my bf and I climbed it in June 13' together, and brought the couple coming on this trip to climb it in September 13' - day tripping from bell lake)

Day Six: Thursday 14th

Depart H37 @ 8:00 am - hike to H48 or H49 / Proulx L. or Little Superior

Day Seven: Friday 15th

Depart H48 or H49 @ 8:00 am - hike to H54 / A.Y. Jackson Lake

** see The Crack, difficult descend ** 

Day Eight: Saturday 16th 

Depart H54 @ 10:00 to 11:00 am - hike to George Lake/ Cars

Voila!  So hopefully this trip seems doable (it does to me) but, I've never been, hence why I am posting my plans here to see if there is any room for improvement! Thanks for reading, any tips, suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated! 

Ashley 

8:36 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,085 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Ashley- this is the most beautiful hike, as I'm sure you know having been there twice! I choose it as my favourite place when asked here.....

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2013/03/06/meet-jake-trailspace-reviewer-of-the-month.html

Couple thoughts-

H7 may be one of the best sites on the hike. The water will make you believe you're in the Caribbean it's so clear (acid rain). It is however a short and easy hike comparatively. However arriving there early allows a swim, and there's some great jumping rocks on the opposite side of the lake.

Your concern about the ridge is valid. It is by far the most difficult part, as you pack weight is still high and the elevation gain, sun exposure, etc.. I would look at giving yourself more time there.

The crack isnt too difficult to decend, especially as you've lighten your load, less fuel, food at that point.

Its funny if you look at my first post ever here at trailspace it was asking about this loop, havnt left since. If i can be of anymore help dont hesitate to ask, or pm me. Hope you guys have fun!

10:26 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the reply, and I have been thinking about the ridge section a lot.

I really want to have a nice whole day at little mountain lake, but with the time we have, it may be more wise to just bunk up at H19 on day two, then trek to H22 day three and day four hike to little mountain lake.  

t's such a hard decision, as I have the biggest urge to stay a whole day enjoying the northernmost part of the trail, but I'm gonna write up a few more plans and see if I can make it a bit simpler for that section.  

I'm sure this won't be the only time I try this hike, so if I don't get my entire campsite wishlist this time, more the reason to keep going back!

Thanks for your input, I appreciate the honesty as I do not want to put my friends in a situation where they'll be very pissed with me haha

I'm sure i'll be on here years from now too, it's a very handy site! Glad I finally joined : ) 

9:52 p.m. on February 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I used Jeff's maps when I did this hike solo last summer and they are very accurate and for the most part the times listed were fairly good as well though it did take me a bit longer on the up hill sections then what was listed :)

Couple of notes.

Try to get your packs as light as possible, your body will thank you for it. I was really happy with my starting pack weight of around 30-35lbs for 7 days especially when goin up and down and after seeing some of the huge packs that some ppl had.

What out for how slippery he rocks get when wet when up on the ridges. I slipped and fell a couple of times due to them being wet after it rained and they can be quite smooth.

Take into account how far off the trail your camp sites will be in planning your days. Some of them can be upto 1km off they main trail

I stayed at H20 my second night and went only H32 for the next night and I was deff ready for a break by the time I got there

As long as you take it easy and watch where you are stepping getting down from the crack is not all hat difficult.

Of the sites that I stayed at I really liked sites H7, H32, H35, H37 and H48

I joke around that when they were making this trail they were playing see a hill hike a hill because if you see one here is a good chance that you are going to hike up it and back down it :)

If you have any other questions let me know or pm me

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply