Moving to Jackson Hole in two weeks

8:50 p.m. on February 20, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

I have decided not to wait till May and am leaving SW Utah to move back to NW Wyoming around the first week of March. 

To get there I am bicycling to Zion NP for a couple days or so, then down to St George Utah to take a shuttle bus to Salt Lake City, then another shuttle company to Jackson Hole. I will be there for at least 6-7 months before perhaps returning to the southwest in Tucson. But I may end up staying the winter in Wyoming. 

I want to get more into winter hiking where snow is on the ground. I thought I would get out this winter but its been so dry and warm. I wanted to be in snow country where I can live in a tent while I practice building igloos and snow caves. 

Every winter for the last 30+ years I have gone to southern Arizona to live in the desert where winter there is like summer in Wyoming's high country. 

One thing that will make it a bit easier is that I have a good long time friend who has lived in Jackson since 1981 year round. She like winter but like me never goes camping in it. I am hoping together we can do some major winter camping.

I am starting with summer camping though and finding good places in the high alpine country to go back to to winter camp.

11:27 a.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

As unwelcome as it might be for you I am REALLY hoping for a significant March or later cold snap to kill some of the demonic bugs killing area forests.

Avalanche Danger has been pretty high for sometime. Choose terrain wisely Gary.

2:45 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,080 forum posts

GP,

In Wyo we used to refer to Jackson as "Aspen Hole." It has been radically changed by people with money from a long way from there.

Before you move to Jackson, check out Wilson or some of the other more normal surrounding communities. I really like Swan Valley, ID which is nearby.

2:49 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

ppine,

I have lived in JH off and on for the last 33 years. Summers mostly and about 5 winters. 

I am also now looking to maybe seeking some work in Zion/Springdale on my way through there in early March. Work a couple months if they hire me for that short and hike Zion, then come/go back to JH in April/May.

7:52 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Swan Valley is more than an hour away from Jackson and further to the meat of the ecosystem for most people. Nice place but with all due respect and IMO one hell of a far cry from Dubois, WY, Boundurant, WY, Driggs, ID, etc. Wilson is great but FAR more expensive. Hoback Jct. is perhaps economically feasible for a "lot" of people.

I love Wyoming but the standing joke around here for many of us is "You're not in Wyoming, you're in Teton County." Yes, having the arguably richest zip code on the planet has its drawbacks, but I'll take it over Oil and Gas Wells any day of any lifetime.

9:18 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

I have changed my mind and am returning to JH next weekend. Taking the St George Shuttle to SLC then one of the two JH shuttles to Jackson. Should be in town by Monday.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply