Ouachita National Recreation Trail

11:44 a.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
891 forum posts

Looking for any firsthand info on this Arkansas-Oklahoma trail. It may be my next target.

Anyone have any experience? I hear water sources are seasonally problematic, but I plan to tackle it in April.

1:06 p.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
457 forum posts

I was reading a series of blog posts from a guy who did the Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita and it sounded nice.  Enough so I passed on some info to the boys in TX who come up to Baxter with me every year in hopes they would do a scout trip and let me know if I should drive down next year to do it with them.

Not sure if any of that info would be useful as I don't know if that loop is part of the trail you are looking at but I can get you a link if you want it.

1:52 p.m. on May 2, 2014 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
131 forum posts

I section hiked the Oklahoma side last month and water can be a problem if you are not familiar with the sources. Sometimes they are off the trail bit. The trail parallels a scenic byway with many connecting spur trails where you could also stash water. You can find some good info and maps at ouachitamaps.com and friendsot.org Tim Ernst also has a book on the trail that i believe is called The Ouachita Trail Guide.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply