Mt Hood next weekend

1:17 p.m. on May 9, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

It looks like the weather will put it all together for us Saturday! I'm very stoked!  Haven't decided/agreed on our approach strategy yet: ski/skin up, ride the lift at 9am (too late IMO) or hike it all from the parkplatz.

Anyone done it either way?

2:26 p.m. on May 9, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
621 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Oh how I wish I were still living in Oregon. Sadly, I never made it up Mt. Hood. Never had the right combination of free time, nice weather and friends to join.

Many friends of mine have hiked the South Side Route, starting from Timberline Lodge. They say it can be tough to avoid the crowds on a nice day, but it's the safest and easiest route. 

Also had a friend get caught in some whiteout conditions and was actually stuck on the mountain for 6 days. Scary stuff.

Mt. Hood can be more dangerous than many folks realize. Have fun and stay safe. Can't wait to see a trip report!

1:48 a.m. on May 10, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Weather is predicted to stabilize last I heard. This week end would be horrendous. Many people have died on Hood because the impression is that it is an easy slog. As with other Cascade volcanos they make their own weather and while it can be nice in town, it can be bad on top. Still remember the three guys in December 2006 who thought they could beat a weather pattern. Two are still up there somewhere. Stay safe and move quickly.

9:30 a.m. on May 10, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,080 forum posts

Have fun up there but watch for moving ice and snow. Have the capability to use your aids and rope up if necessary.  I would like to see the pictures.

9:46 a.m. on May 12, 2014 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

The cautions about the weather can not be over stated.  We live pretty close and it won't hurt our feelings too much if we have to try another day with good weather.  So far the weather looks promising but it will be crowded, oh well. I will definitely post a report, summit or not.

9:41 p.m. on May 12, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

Have fun! I would like to climb a real mountain someday. I've always thought about Rainer.

10:44 a.m. on May 13, 2014 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Rain and unsettled weather is predicted this week end, after a glorious week.

10:11 p.m. on May 13, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

If you do go, take several days of food beyond your anticipated trip duration.  If the weather does close in hunker down!  The majority of mishaps result when folks take a wrong turn and get lost, or worse blunder into dangerous terrain.  This is particularly true of the upper ridges where it is easy for even experienced Hood hikers to mis-navigate and end up on dangerous slopes under hillsides ripe to avalanche.

Erich:  I thought they recovered one of those 2006 mountaineers from a snow cave, (many months later ?)

Ed

9:21 a.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

ya, I saw the weather, ugh, not looking good

12:19 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
708 reviewer rep
875 forum posts

Ed, of the three, one was able to use his cell phone and give his information. He had been injured, as I recall, and his companions descended for help. When rescuers found him a week later, he had died. The other two have never been found. Their story is a tragic one that could have been avoided. A major storm was predicted and they thought they could make a lightning ascent in two days and beat the storm. They did not have adequate gear and food to survive a week. The cell phone did not help Kelly James who rescuers found a week later having died from hypothermia. Often in similar tragedies, their can be several contributing factors to the accident. One is a thought that since "we've taken the time off work and this is our only opportunity", which can make the party continue in worsening conditions. The other is expecting that the weather will wait and not preparing for the "what ifs". With adequate gear and food, Kelly James may have survived.

2:34 p.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Ugh!! Canceled. The weather window closed. :(

10:43 p.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
621 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Sorry to hear. Hope you can get there soon. And would love to see a trip report.

12:09 p.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

To add insult to injury I just read a TR from another site... wait for it... the weather held!

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1124256/TR_Mt_Hood_Sunshine_Route_Slig#Post1124256

7:33 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,442 reviewer rep
745 forum posts

Bummer. But better to be alive and disappointed than dead and disappointed. (Wait...that didn't come out right.)

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply