2-3 day trips in the Willamette National Forest?

4:02 p.m. on July 13, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
420 forum posts

We're headed up to Portland later this summer from Napa....and looking for a trip or two that we could enjoy along the way.  We've done a ton of backpacking, and are more interested in peaks and lakes than big rivers and fishing...

And fewer people is better than more people.  grin

1:18 p.m. on July 22, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,274 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

Noone responded? I wish I was familiar with the area...maybe this will send it to the top and someone from that neck of the woods will notice.

12:29 a.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,763 forum posts

Mike Marrow might know hes a member that lives in Oregon...Might try a pm he hasn't posted in a long time....

1:26 p.m. on July 23, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,679 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

I've never been there...but it doesn't look like you could make a wrong choice. Hwy 97 promises to be a beautiful drive to whatever you want to do. The paddler in me likes Hwy 58 from Hwy 97 on my way over to Eugene for a convenient 2-3 day excursion on Waldo Lake https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willamette/recreation/recarea/?recid=4528

11:26 a.m. on July 25, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,909 forum posts

There are so many great places it is hard to start.  The two big factors would be the distance from Portland, which impacts the density of people, and the elevation. There are great peaks and lakes near the crest of the Cascades which is only around 4,000 feet. 

The weather is much better east of the mountains. I really liked the Sisters Wilderness Area west of Bend as an example. The area around Santiam Pass is great and so is the headwaters of the Rogue River. 

I just spent a week in the Coast Range. It is warmer but very pleasant. You can't go wrong if you chose the right elevation for the time of year. Always be ready in Oregon for some bad weather. 

September 25, 2017
Quick Reply