Yellowstone over spring break?

1:33 p.m. on February 9, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I am planning on going on a 4 night snowshoeing trip to Yellowstone over Spring Break. I am looking for advice on where to go in the park. I want to get away from snowmobilers and find solitude. As most of the roads are closed access seems to be a problem. If anyone has experience about Yellowstone in the winter and has any ideas let me know.

10:21 a.m. on February 10, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Clarkie

Hey Now Jeff:
you may want to post your question on one of these two pages:
http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/loon.htm or
http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/chat2.htm
The first page (the "Loon" page) is pretty wild and farflung at times, but is visited daily by back country camping folks
The 2nd page has less traffic, but you might not get the right folks'attention.
My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone the last week of February (3 nights in Mammoth, 2 at Old Faithful Snow Lodge) as part of The Yellowstone Institute's Winter Wonderland Package. We will be at Old Faithful for the
Full Moon. woo-hoo!!
Joy be with you,
Clarkie

Quote:

I am planning on going on a 4 night snowshoeing trip to Yellowstone over Spring Break. I am looking for advice on where to go in the park. I want to get away from snowmobilers and find solitude. As most of the roads are closed access seems to be a problem. If anyone has experience about Yellowstone in the winter and has any ideas let me know.

8:54 a.m. on February 11, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts
Easy money!

Quote:

Solitude is easy in winter in jellystone. Sled necks are very limited for travel.

The coach ride into Old Faithful is cool and you can "stage" from there. We skied out to the Bechler River to Ashton. 5 daze. Only saw evidence of folks the last day when we hit the packed snowmachine trail.

What entrance where you thinkin' of accessing the park from?

Tons of options!

Brian in SLC

12:13 a.m. on February 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Carter
When's Your Spring Break?

Jeff:

When is you're spring break? Last night in West Yellowstone (lower altitude than the central park) the recored low was -29F. March and April would of course be warmer, but still you should be prepared for night time temps well below zero.

As others have said, the easiest access would be from Old Faithful after you paid for the snowcoach ride. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is open all winter, but overnight parking spots along the road are limited.

You might want to see if a local library has a copy of a book entitled something like "ski tours in Yellowstone"--very informative about the possibilities.

Good luck,

Carter

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply