pct help

5:48 p.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi, I'm in tne final stages of planning a pct thru hike for 2002. I would love to get some info on lightweight, compact, 20 degree sleeping bags. Also open to any lightweight gear advice.
Hazel

8:22 p.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

1:49 a.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Also open to any lightweight gear advice.

Potatoe flakes, potatoe flakes,..just need warm water, not boiling. and eat up the miles. Adding on 3 or 4 miles a day means you start each stage with 5 pounds less of food or so....NO tent, plastic sheet for bad weather...Plan on being chilly if you're not hiking or in your bag, less clothing...good to get up in the morning and start hiking right away, stop and have breakfast when you and the day warm up. Good luck!!!

2:24 p.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Forrest Hutchinson

I take care to avoid wet by packing my sleeping in a watertight stuff sack and use a Hennesey Hammock, (requires no sleeping pad)keeping my bag dry in three season travel. For that reason, I use a Marmot Pinnacle which is rated to 15 degrees but weighs two pounds. This set up saves me alot of weight but since I am in the Northeast, I always have two trees to tie the hammock to. You might want to go with a synthetic bag if you plan to sleep on the ground without a fly. They do make a Pinnacle with a dryloft coating but it is slightly heavier. Remember that the conditions change without much warning in the Sierra's and it rains most afternoons at higer elivations in the summer. At least it used to when I lived there in the 70's.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply