Citico Creek in Tennessee - anyone been there?

8:43 p.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hullo all -

I'm from Georgia, and I usually take a backpacking trip in March. I've been told the Georgia AT is super-crowded at that time, and I've hiked just about every other long trail in Georgia, so now I'm moving out-of-state.

The Citico Creek wilderness sounds great, but I have some questions

1) Just how hard is it to find campsites on the higher ridges (other than Naked Ground)?

2) I've heard the trails are poorly-maintained and hard to follow - true?

- Sean

2:03 p.m. on February 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I too am from GA (Atlanta) and do most of my backpacking in the Cohuttas. I have not done Citico creek but have done the Slickrock creek trail in Joyce Kilmer. Absolutely amazing. The numerous creek crossing could be a little cold in march though.

Quote:

Hullo all -

I'm from Georgia, and I usually take a backpacking trip in March. I've been told the Georgia AT is super-crowded at that time, and I've hiked just about every other long trail in Georgia, so now I'm moving out-of-state.

The Citico Creek wilderness sounds great, but I have some questions

1) Just how hard is it to find campsites on the higher ridges (other than Naked Ground)?

2) I've heard the trails are poorly-maintained and hard to follow - true?

- Sean

3:13 p.m. on February 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

that place is as remote as you want to make it. great views, huge trees, deep woods. look for tim homan's book, "hiking trails of joyce kilmer-slickrock and citico creek wilderness." it's a great, reliable guide. bob stratton bald has great views, but you'll have to share it with others on a weekend.

thom

9:40 a.m. on March 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. gt

My friends from Tennessee love Citico. The trails are pretty rough, but that adds to the appeal of the place. A lot of the wilderness area was burned over after being heavily logged for years. There's still a few stands of old growth, but not near as many as in Slickrock or the Smokies. The trails are hardly marked, and when we bp'd the ridge in Jeffrey's Hell (Brushy Mt.), we more or less just followed the ridgeline rather than trying to stay on the poorly marked trail. Of course, that was right while the leaves were coming down last fall - at other times of the year, the trail would be more easily seen.

There's a wide logging road running most of the way across the top of Citico, and roads up each side of the watershed as well. It's a cool place with a lot of hidden corners, but compared to the huge backcountry areas of the Smokies, or even the Slickrock side of the ridge, it's pretty small. By comparison of size, Citico could easily fit into, say, the Twentymile Creek drainage in the Smokies with room to spare. South Fork of Citico Creek is beautiful and should have some excellent fly fishing. You camp wherever you wish. We passed up some superb campsites on our trip, then ran out of daylight in Jeffreys Hell and had to camp in a rhododendron thicket near the trail.

I noticed smashed window glass at the trailhead, and my buddy that lives near there told me that it can be a little risky to leave a car there in the summer months. There was also quite a bit of litter in the first mile or so as we worked our way up the North Fork of Citico Creek - lawn chairs, beer cans, tarps, etc. After that, it was clean and nice.

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply