New Mexico Mountain Meadow Hikes

2:39 p.m. on March 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm going to be touring the upper half of N.M. in September. Anyone know of a place where you can actually do a day hike in mountain meadows? Please give a few details of what area this is in.

1:55 p.m. on March 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

check out wheeler peak, the highpoint of new mexico. some great high meadows on the route up. the peak is located by the taos ski area.

Quote:

I'm going to be touring the upper half of N.M. in September. Anyone know of a place where you can actually do a day hike in mountain meadows? Please give a few details of what area this is in.

3:54 p.m. on March 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Try the Valles Caldera (aka Baca Ranch) north of the Jemez. AWSOME!!!

1:12 a.m. on March 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

The San Gregorio Lake area (...just inside the San Pedro Parks Wilderness area...) is a great day hike. It's a very short hike (approx 1 mile) and the colors in September should be very nice.

To get there:
-Take I-25 north from Albuquerque to the second Bernalillo exit. (exit #242)

-Go west on U.S. 550 approximately 60 miles to the town of Cuba, New Mexico.

-In Cuba, turn right on N.M. State Highway # 126. (...some notes here: The turn for N.M. 126 has a gift shop at the corner that's in an old gas station...this building is farther back from the road than most of the other buildings in town...If you pass the Chevron gas station on the right side of U.S. 550, you have missed the turn off..)

-Go east on N.M. 126 approximately 8 miles to the Forest Road 70 turn off. This is a left turn off NM126, and there will be a big brown and white sign for the San Pedro Parks Wilderness area. (...note here...NM126 will have turned from a paved road to a gravel road about 300 yards before the turn off on FR70...)

-Go northeast on FR 70 about 2 miles and you will reach the trail head for San Gregorio Lake. The parking area is on the right side of FR 70, and the trail is just across the road on the left. The trail number is 51...also called the "Vacas Trail." The lake is not more than a mile from the parking area, and it's situated in a huge meadow...

Although September is late in the season, definitely be prepared for weather. The thunder storms and lightning can get very intense here, and snow is not out of the question in September

Enjoy..

vm.

p.s. my best friends's ashes are on the hillside above the lake...please treat this area well...

10:01 p.m. on March 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I second that on the Wheeler Peak Wilderness area. I climbed Wheeler last June and it was a great hike. Leaving from the trailhead and hiking up to Williams Lake is an amazing hike. Myself and two friends arrived just before sunset and camped at the lake. We were the only ones there and it was awesome.

Another great area is the Valle Vidal area of the Carson National Forest. One way to get to it is to drive from Cimarron towards Raton and about 10-15miles turn onto the Valle Vidal Road which will get you into the area. The hike to do is from Ring Place(which has an amazing meadow)up to Little Costilla Peak via McCrystal Creek. The Valle Vidal is an amazing place and it doesn't attract to many people which is a definite plus. Look into the Valle Vidal its a great place to hike.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply