backpacking in TN or NC ?

5:26 p.m. on March 26, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

heading down to tennessee in late june, hoping to backpack somewhere in TN or NC. hoping to find somewhere i can backpack in up to ten miles, day hike from basecamp to summits with views, but i'm also open to day hike suggestions (without the backpack in to basecamp).

looking to get a few 10-15 mile day hikes in

any advice on books, maps, or web links would be appreciated (Great Smokies, Pisgah, Nantahala, Cherokee, etc)

thanks ! - arm

7:16 p.m. on March 26, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Couple of suggestions for you:

Rich Mountain Trail (Great Smoky Mountains @ Cades Cove) is about nine miles round trip and has great views. There are also various loops that include Silers Bald and Gregory Bald--these are both excellent trails.

If you are going to stick to the TN/NC area, Roan Mountain is also beautiful that time of the year.

In terms of reading, check out "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" by Doris Gove. The book has a number of suggestions for day and overnight trails near/on the AT. There are myriad books with good Smokies suggestions--your local library may have some, so I'd start there.

Not sure if you have time to spare, but my personal favorite is Big South Fork National Park on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. If you have time to squeeze in a trip, do it!

12:17 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I recommend the Shining Rock Wilderness in NC outside of Ashville, I don't have exact details (I did not drive), I went there with a group of friends about 12 years ago. There are miles and miles of trails with unbelievable vistas. What they call "Shining Rock" itself may be a destination to set up base camp, then you can do numerous day hikes from there...

Quote:

heading down to tennessee in late june, hoping to backpack somewhere in TN or NC. hoping to find somewhere i can backpack in up to ten miles, day hike from basecamp to summits with views, but i'm also open to day hike suggestions (without the backpack in to basecamp).

looking to get a few 10-15 mile day hikes in

any advice on books, maps, or web links would be appreciated (Great Smokies, Pisgah, Nantahala, Cherokee, etc)

thanks ! - arm

11:36 p.m. on March 29, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. griztrax
BP info for western NC and eastern TN

I have quite a bit of info on the hiking, backpacking, and kayaking opportunities in the region on http://www.griztrax.net . Check out the articles on Shining Rock, and the ones on the Smokies. You may also want to consider the Joyce Kilmer/Citico/Slickrock wilderness areas. There's some great (albeit rough) hikes there that lead up to some magnificent views. In Citico, I recommend the North Fork of the Citico River up to the ridgeline. There's a number of loops available in the region as well.

1:48 p.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

thanks for the suggestions!

we hiked Shining Rock with NC friends last summer, looking to hike somewhere new this time around - i'll read up on the suggestions posted here - arm

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply