Capers Island kayak trip

11:51 p.m. on March 29, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. griztrax

Don't know if anyone here is interested in sea kayaking, but I've been spending a lot of time kayaking the islands and lowcountry blackwater rivers of South Carolina. It's a great time of year in the lowcountry, with few bugs and great weather. We recently completed a weeks tour of the Edisto River, followed by a trip out to the islands north of Charleston. Capers Island is a wildlife preserve, and a permit must be obtained before camping there. It's easy to get though. The island lies 3 miles off the coast of South Carolina, and the paddle out from the Isle of Palms Marina involves dealing with tidal currents, shallow oyster beds that can rip the bottom out of your boat if you misjudge the water's depth, and dodging the drunken deep sea fishermen that roar down the Intracoastal Waterway as they head back from the Gulf Stream. For all that, I have to admit that it was one of the best kayak trips that I've done on the east coast. The island is undeveloped, and while we were there, only a handful of cadets from the Citadel shared the island with us. If you want to experience something a bit different in visiting some good wild country in the southeast, I highly recommend this trip. I prefer doing it in the cooler months. In the hot months, the area is notorious for the swarms of mosquitoes and no-see-ums that do their best to suck every drop of blood from your body. Kayaks can be rented in Mt. Pleasant, not far from the put-in, along with maps and tide charts. (Get the charts - it's danged near impossible to battle against the tide in either direction if you hit it wrong.) I have a trip report at http://www.griztrax.net/sea_yakking/Capers_Island/Capers_Island_kayak.html .

Cool place, especially if you enjoy beachcombing on a deserted island. Just north of Capers is Bull Island, home to a thriving population of red wolves.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply