Mt. St. Helens

10:13 a.m. on April 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Some friends of mine who live in Portland have a permit to hike St. Helens June 21st. From what I've gathered it looks like a pretty intense day hike with the possibility for all weather extremes. Anybody here have any experiences with this hike?

7:53 p.m. on April 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Some friends of mine who live in Portland have a permit to hike St. Helens June 21st. From what I've gathered it looks like a pretty intense day hike with the possibility for all weather extremes. Anybody here have any experiences with this hike?

Depends on what your definition of intense is. I did it in one day with 3 friends 10 or 12 years ago. We went in September so there was no snow, but snow might actually make it easier. It is 4 miles, 4000 ft to the summit from the parking lot on the South side as I recall. The ash on the South side was pretty deep then, the last mile was one of the three steps up, slide two steps back kind of things. I camp on the North side frequently (Cispus River) and would say that this area draws rain like a magnet. That too may help as it would cut down on the dust. Pretty awe inspiring to stand on the rim and look down into the crater thinking about the power it took to eject all that material out of the crater. Then you suddenly realize that the summit was 1600 feet higher than where you are standing!

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply